Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2014 VF

Warren_Bligh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF
Timing chain on my 2014 VF has stretched apparently. Engine light on. I really don't want to have to replace my Holden but it's surely gonna cost and nowadays, Commodores aren't worth anything.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
A 10yo Commodore has always been worth nothing, COVID was a glitch in the matrix … I had to sell my grandfather’s awful 10yo VK Executive in the mid 90’s, I think it was only worth about $4k despite having a reco engine (<100k km’s - Holden quality!).

The VF could very much be still worth fixing, though.

Warren_Bligh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF
A 10yo Commodore has always been worth nothing, COVID was a glitch in the matrix … I had to sell my grandfather’s awful 10yo VK Executive in the mid 90’s, I think it was only worth about $4k despite having a reco engine (<100k km’s - Holden quality!).

The VF could very much be still worth fixing, though.
Definitely. Thanks for the time and the response. I don't have the cash for another car and I'm only usually looking in Car Sales for other Commodores anyway. I've saved a list of 2017 Commodores with low KM's. I've never brought myself to the reality of buying a different make. I guess the real issue is whether other things will start to fall apart making it not worth keeping? I would like to keep it however. I'd definitely like to defy the odds, keep the services up to it and just keep driving it. Thanks again for your response.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Yeah there are plenty of options that’re way more reliable than a Commodore … almost anything Japanese or Korean (there are always exceptions though you can’t get away with just buying anything).

But … at only 10 years old, it’s pretty rare that you don’t benefit financially from repairing something which you know is otherwise in good nick.
Our VS decided to lose internal oil circulation at 18yrs and 160k kms, paying someone to fit a used engine cost about what the car was worth BUT the extra couple of year’s trouble-free usage we got out of it after that made it worthwhile; and compared to the depreciation if we’d bought a new or near-new VE2 at the time, that repair was MUCH more cost-effective!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6