Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are any member here into high end Tv's and Sound

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
OLED is definitely susceptible to burn-in. As I’m hearing impaired I tend to use captions and the bottom part of the screen starts to resemble a very used typewriter ribbon! (One probably needs to be a certain age to understand the typewriter reference let alone the used ribbon bit!).

I have thought about replacing it but it’s difficult to find something with a similar dynamic range that isn‘t susceptible to burn-in. So, I put up with it and save my money until something better comes on the market.

Early OLEDs were pretty bad for it, but most reviews I've seen of more recent (last 5 years) is its much better.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

They've got some smart stuff like pixel moving in there to help avoid it.

If you watch one channel all the time, or game on them, then you might get something, but half the issue is knowing its there. I daren't run one of those grayscale images for panel uniformity!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Early OLEDs were pretty bad for it, but most reviews I've seen of more recent (last 5 years) is its much better.

If you watch one channel all the time, or game on them, then you might get something, but half the issue is knowing its there. I daren't run one of those grayscale images for panel uniformity!

I have a dislike of channel Logo’s and super bright subtitles but not much one can do other than let the TV do it’s pixel shift magic and hopefully that would keep the problem at bay (though I suspect burn-in would still occur but it would be more blurred).

If only the TV channels cared less about “branding” and more about damage logo’s and static images can do to the consumers equipment, they’d not have such bright stuff sitting in one location onscreen for ages… Interestingly, CNN Live heavily relies on banners and logo’s so not surprised the linked article shows them up as a problem channel on OLED panels.

And I hate the idea of those anti burn in white bar sweeps some TV’s offer, I see it as a menu feature that simply ensure the panel degrades uniformly :rolleyes:

Interestingly burn-in was supposedly the bane of plasma by I’ve never had any issue whatsoever with my 2009 Pioneer Kuro panel and it’s used a lot… I had more burn-in issues with one old CRT TV I had long long ago…

Luckily my Pioneer is still working very well, though 50” used to be huge but now it’s just so small… So I must upgrade to bigger new tech panel at some stage.

If the OLED panels are better than the Pioneer at avoiding burning and their PQ is great, then I’ll be happy as a pig in mud when I upgrade later this year or early next…

But it seems like QD-OLED is going to be the next best choice for flat panel display tech but large OLED panels aren’t going to the the initial focus and I’d want > 77”… don’t need but want…

Ah getting back on that treadmill is going to be tough on the wallet :oops:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I just bought a second hand Samsung 42” plasma TV. Wow!
The Best Plasma was the Pioneer Kuro, Forgot the Model but our Local Chemist still has the Pioneer attached to there roof with some Tery White running Advertising on it. Its damm old and it still working and the pic looks good. God knows how many hours its done.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I've got a Panasonic plasma 720p sitting un-unsed atm. I'm keeping it for when I need a second TV somewhere for sports and video games.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

OOOOOH Yes getting better by the day but the Trouble is QUEENSLAND AND STORMS. See here in Qld where the storms are vicious and you have bad storms and you have the latest OLED you cannot remove the TV from Pixel Refresher ( when you turn it off) so you have to leave the TV on in a suspended state to do its thing and then ZAP. I know the Sony Repairer and he had to come to our house to fix a warranty job on our 65 inch Sony 7000E ( Cant update the new Firmware issue) (Yes the warranty was expired 12 months after the 12 months but I do know my Consumer rights and we talked because he said you you know you TV stuff, NEVER SEEN A TV ROOM LIKE THE NEXT ROOM, I said Dont worry about that but we were talking about Lightning, Lightning Strikes in QLD and most take the lead/aerial out of the wall with a bad storm but if you own the Latest OLED you can't do this otherwise you cannot do the Pixel Refresh or you dont want to interrupt this whilst its going and if you leve it going it ZAP, ZAP .
I Told him I have ISOLATOR to isolate most here ALL the Dishes are Earth with 3M earth Rod, Kept them Wet, ( sometime I will piss on them one at a time as when I need to do a piss) ( he laughted.) and have a Terrestrial Antenna Isolator. He say WHAT!!!. HAVE A LOOK IN THE Broom
Vacuum room.
Fix the 65 inch Sony shook his head and went.

Only hand tight F Connectors

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
It shows you what a board old man does, I always think out side the Square, you wonder why I cant sleep at night somtimes

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

rtings.com is good site but the trouble is they dont review anything dearer that about $6000 US Dollar's so you never get a review on the HighEnd Tv's

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
OOOOOH Yes getting better by the day but the Trouble is QUEENSLAND AND STORMS. See here in Qld where the storms are vicious and you have bad storms and you have the latest OLED you cannot remove the TV from Pixel Refresher ( when you turn it off) so you have to leave the TV on in a suspended state to do its thing and then ZAP. I know the Sony Repairer and he had to come to our house to fix a warranty job on our 65 inch Sony 7000E ( Cant update the new Firmware issue) (Yes the warranty was expired 12 months after the 12 months but I do know my Consumer rights and we talked because he said you you know you TV stuff, NEVER SEEN A TV ROOM LIKE THE NEXT ROOM, I said Dont worry about that but we were talking about Lightning, Lightning Strikes in QLD and most take the lead/aerial out of the wall with a bad storm but if you own the Latest OLED you can't do this otherwise you cannot do the Pixel Refresh or you dont want to interrupt this whilst its going and if you leve it going it ZAP, ZAP .
I Told him I have ISOLATOR to isolate most here ALL the Dishes are Earth with 3M earth Rod, Kept them Wet, ( sometime I will piss on them one at a time as when I need to do a piss) ( he laughted.) and have a Terrestrial Antenna Isolator. He say WHAT!!!. HAVE A LOOK IN THE Broom
Vacuum room.
Fix the 65 inch Sony shook his head and went.

Only hand tight F Connectors

It’s sad but surge and lightning protection isn’t normally seen in homes.

Interestingly RCD/GFCI are defined in the standards and required via legislation so seen in all new builds. But even though the standards specify surge and lightning protection systems, I don’t think it’s mandated else it would be seen in all new builds which it ain’t…

Lightning, both direct and indirect, can cause lots of damage as it enters via power and data lines coming into any building. That’s one of the reasons why I always though the original NBN with optical fibre to the home was a great idea… Thanks for screwing that up Malcom :mad:

Antenna and satellite dishes have their own issues around lightning so it’s good to see some actually want to protect their equipment. No one I know bothers with such on their insulated non grounded mast mounted TV antennas :oops:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
It’s sad but surge and lightning protection isn’t normally seen in homes.

Interestingly RCD/GFCI are defined in the standards and required via legislation so seen in all new builds. But even though the standards specify surge and lightning protection systems, I don’t think it’s mandated else it would be seen in all new builds which it ain’t…

Lightning, both direct and indirect, can cause lots of damage as it enters via power and data lines coming into any building. That’s one of the reasons why I always though the original NBN with optical fibre to the home was a great idea… Thanks for screwing that up Malcom :mad:

Antenna and satellite dishes have their own issues around lightning so it’s good to see some actually want to protect their equipment. No one I know bothers with such on their insulated non grounded mast mounted TV antennas :oops:
Very Bad storms I even disconnect Everything. I made the House Easy to Disconnect, easy so the Women in the House (not as tech like me) know ANY BLACK LEAD you have to pull the 240 Plug out. The Whole house only has 5 Black leads to be removed.. Even The Internet Its Very easy to unclick the RG45 (i think its RJ45) just in case I'm not home. Our Main TV room with Everthing only has ONE and Only BLACK Lead so the Girls know what to take out +++++ I have LABEL saying "Remove in Storms". Yes I'm Paranoid but love it.
The best thing I did is install Two UPS Power Conditioner's. Original I had one but when I got the 85Z8H it was a Power sucker. Yes (OCD kicking in again) I tested it using the UHD HDR Benchmark Disk from Spears and Muncil and I found out on a Full 100% White screen It uses 880 Watts (LCD Display on the UPS Tells me) and on a Black screen it uses less than 250 watts, Yes Brighter the screen more juice it uses but I dont care because the TV is VERY GOOD for HDR material and the the whole house is environmentally Friendly as we have not had to pay a bill since 2009. Yes The Electrics was Designed by the old fart to be a efficient house even with 15 tv's in the house as at that time I had the Contractors License as I got and wanted 3 Phase Power with a good Solar PV System.
With both UPS going I can keep the Whole system going, 'Eg" big tv, all the nine Monitors, all Sat Boxes for around 10 hours before its beeps to me (time to turn off)

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes you know me "I'MMMMM Paranoid and have to much OCD ...LOL.