Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Barina - intermittent loss of power

SuperBob09

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 series 2
Hi all, my daughters 2014 Barina is having a few issues and it is now at the mechanic for the third time in a year :(

Whilst driving, at any time, but normally once it's warmed up a bit. You're driving along, then go to accelerate and it suddenly is misfiring and there is a loss of engine power/ speed. At the same time the Engine management and Traction control lights come on. You pull over, switch the engine off and leave it a few minutes. When you switch it back on the lights have gone and it drives OK again. The mechanic has changed spark plugs but it's made no difference.

It's pretty dangerous because once it happens you're almost having to roll to the side of the road and my daughter is finding it understandably stressful wondering if it will happen :(

We got a computer on to check and it wasn't showing up and errors.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
It's pretty dangerous because once it happens you're almost having to roll to the side of the road and my daughter is finding it understandably stressful wondering if it will happen :(
Yep.
I don't know how related the engine of a '14 model is to 2003 XC Barina 1400cc Opel engine.
We had similar issues with ours that Holden service centre couldn't fix because there were 'no codes'.
They replaced the fuel pump, spark plugs, cam belt and lots of other little things (cant remember) + labour.............. end cost over about 6 months was over $2,000. No results.
Rang the NRMA and asked for directions to a local accredited mechanic.
Told him the symptoms, he said "Coil pack", removed the coil pack, and it was cracked and showing arcing tracks.
Second hand coil pack ........... fixed.

SuperBob09

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 series 2
Yep.
I don't know how related the engine of a '14 model is to 2003 XC Barina 1400cc Opel engine.
We had similar issues with ours that Holden service centre couldn't fix because there were 'no codes'.
They replaced the fuel pump, spark plugs, cam belt and lots of other little things (cant remember) + labour.............. end cost over about 6 months was over $2,000. No results.
Told him the symptoms, he said "Coil pack", removed the coil pack, and it was cracked and showing arcing tracks.
Thank you so much, I'll get looking for a coil pack asap :)

Cheers!

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Yep.
Timing Belt ??? replaced for a misfiring engine? :rolleyes:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Thank you so much, I'll get looking for a coil pack asap :)

Cheers!
I 'm not saying that is your problem, it could be the problem. Check first and confirm before spending cash on a maybe.

Timing Belt ??? replaced for a misfiring engine? :rolleyes:
Holdens shotgun fix which was powered by customers trust and dollars.
After all, they were the 'expert' Holden fixers. I should have known better. :(

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Hi all, my daughters 2014 Barina is having a few issues and it is now at the mechanic for the third time in a year :(

Whilst driving, at any time, but normally once it's warmed up a bit. You're driving along, then go to accelerate and it suddenly is misfiring and there is a loss of engine power/ speed. At the same time the Engine management and Traction control lights come on. You pull over, switch the engine off and leave it a few minutes. When you switch it back on the lights have gone and it drives OK again. The mechanic has changed spark plugs but it's made no difference.

We got a computer on to check and it wasn't showing up and errors.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers
That sounds to me like the engine is going into limp mode to protect it.

There will be stored codes.

Access them before loading the parts canon and firing it.

You have a mystery. All good mystery’s are solved by following the trail of clues, not by arresting each suspect until the murderer is remaining.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
That sounds to me like the engine is going into limp mode to protect it.

There will be stored codes.
But what if those codes cannot be found by the 'experts', ie: Holden service centres.

We had a 2.0 litre Frontera 4WD from new. Great little wagon (with Australian made Family2 engine) which suited us as the wife's car and our Dead Dingo Creek explorer.
Problem was, it used to suddenly run like a hairy goat whenever, pumping clouds of black smoke and lacking revs ..... being in limp mode, but driveable, not stuck on the side of the road, dead. Fix was to turn it off, count the cockatoos in the big tree, recite God Save the Queen, face Mecca, and restart it.
It was returned to Holden under warranty each time, but they could never find any codes. I think it got to the stage where Holden thought I was just full of BS and paranoia.
Even though we went to some remote areas, we were lucky that it never crapped itself, out there.
But I didn't trust it, and as soon as the warranty was up, it was traded on one of the first XC Barinas. This one was then traded on another new XC which had the unexplained, no code, problems.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Fair call there.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
But what if those codes cannot be found by the 'experts', ie: Holden service centres......

It's probably due to their Tech 2 has seen better days I'd suspect and them not repairing it. Can't find codes if the scan tool is toast.

Edit: Or not being bothered to upgrade to Tech2Win.

Last edited:

SuperBob09

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 series 2
Yep.
Hi, figjam, just wanted to let you know that it was the coil pack. Got it replaced and no problems since. Thanks again to everyone for their comments!