Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cam choice.

M

matt69

was looking at getting a cam/chip upgradwe for my 5L VRSS and was just wondering wats the best bang for your buk street package going around these days.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
no point buying a cam unless you do the heads and headers, try a chip upgrade then go from there.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
matt69 said:
wot sort of blower do u hav on ur car?
b&m fitted by s&m blown world

jdjones

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs11 clubby 185i
burnz said:
no point buying a cam unless you do the heads and headers, try a chip upgrade then go from there.
matty dont listen to burnz he has no idea stock vn-vs heads flow around 430 hp's thats heaps 4 street motor only do the heads if ur chasn serious hp's.u could easily use a crane 284 or even a 286 no probs on stock heads .ring comeracing they will recommend a cam and chip to suit u and ur car

H

HSV1992

To get the best results from a Crane 286 you need 9.5:1 comp, 3000rpm stall (if auto) and at least 3.7:1 gear ratios. So a little head work is needed to raise comp, but porting is really not needed.
A change in intake manifolds is more in need with a 286

I have been quoted about $3,500 for a 286, head work, roller rockers, new valves and stem seals, bigger injectors (quote will be cheaper if not needed) and a re-map of ECU

jdjones

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs11 clubby 185i
HSV1992 said:
To get the best results from a Crane 286 you need 9.5:1 comp, 3000rpm stall (if auto) and at least 3.7:1 gear ratios. So a little head work is needed to raise comp, but porting is really not needed.
A change in intake manifolds is more in need with a 286

I have been quoted about $3,500 for a 286, head work, roller rockers, new valves and stem seals, bigger injectors (quote will be cheaper if not needed) and a re-map of ECU
yeah hsv1992 i forgot with a 286 a slight comp raise with just decking the heads to around 9.5:1 and valve springs will get the most out that cam.as with with manifolds unless ur chasn big hps i wouldnt bother.ive seen stock manifolds produce around 230-40kw at the motor

Last edited:

TAILS83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
so what would be needed for a 284 cam, just a cam change. anyone had any quoted prices on that. what sorta power would you be lookin at with the 284.

H

HSV1992

A 284 can be used without a compression hike (but is recommended, but need 3000rpm hi-stall (if auto) and 3.55-3.9 gear ratio.
Go check cranecams website