Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS2] Cam specs and results

PJM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport R8
I have a VE Clubbie with an LS2 and manual. It has a Comp Cam 232/234 with X-force 1 3/4 extractors, 100 cell cats and twin 3 inch x-force system with the rear mufflers removed and hotdogs installed. I also have a VCM OTR and Mafless tune and it put out 315RWkW with the factory clutch slipping at the very high rev's.

Personally I would go a twin 3inch system because I prefer the sound they put out, but I cant stand the muffled noise the x-force rolled tips makes hence why i removed them put straight cut tips on. I also agree with "Eaton V8" and dont go anything smaller than 1 3/4 extractors.

hsv453

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Z series Clubsport
^^ Your mods sound about right with your pwoer figure, nice mate! :)

Thanks for all the info guys, is helping nicely.

Once my cam is in my mod list will look like this
- 1 7/8 Headers
- 100 cell Hiflow cats
- 2.5" dual custom exhaust with only a hotdog on each pipe (its loud but no drone)
- Comp Cams 232/234 112 camshaft
- Comp Cams 918 Beehive valve springs
- Comp Cams Retainers
- CSV OTR
- Tune
Ohh and is manual, gearbox got rebuilt 2000k's ago and hd clutch was fitted

Most of you should know Pete Dichiera aka CSV who has built holdens for production to which are compared to HSV.

He is doing my work and has told me the following.. LS2 with a cam etc, being a cathedral port head you will not see over 315rwkw read on a true dyno (said to expect upto 330rwkw on various other dyno's), the heads don't flow enough. If you want over you will need the heads done. You can help the flow by fitting bigger headers, 1-7/8 is the only thing he recommends when putting a cam in without taking the heads off and a 2.5" exhaust is what he likes to work with. On a standard head 232/234 112 with between .570 - .600 of lift is perfect however excessive engine braking will stuff a valve but normal driving and giving a bootful all day will be fine, says anything over .600 of lift is going to f**k a valve when you decide to do some spirited driving.

Thats just relying on the information he has given me, and i do trust what he says as he has done plenty of testing on these engines..

Once i get the work done (just under 2 months) i am taking it to another dyno to see the difference in results

But for the quality of work CSV is the cheapest i've come across, pete is really looking after me :)

PJM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport R8
Hi HSV453,

The information that Pete told you about stuffing the valves is the same information I got from Power Torque Engines when I got mine done. They said anything larger than a 232/234 you will have problems. I assume you will be going a Maf-less tune too.

Let us know the figures it puts out once it is done.

Paul

hsv453

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Z series Clubsport
Hi HSV453,

The information that Pete told you about stuffing the valves is the same information I got from Power Torque Engines when I got mine done. They said anything larger than a 232/234 you will have problems. I assume you will be going a Maf-less tune too.

Let us know the figures it puts out once it is done.

Paul

Hey mate,

Good to see some solid information between two different tuners!

Yes maffless/custom tune after the cam has been fitted, will be sure to post up some numbers after she is done, 1 and a half months wait is going to kill me

gto marco

Reaction score
Members Ride
hsv gto coupe 2005
Hey fellow rev nuts ..I luved the read
I'm doing.some work on my 2005 gto coupe have already made it breath better with Cai tho should of went the otr as I'm now doing the cam up grade to the comp 232/234 plus mafless tune so hoping for some good results
Yes also has gene headers 3" pipes ,sterling hi flo cats also did the suspension lowered by 30mm

VUte89

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz Maloo :)
Could someone give us a run down on how much it all cost for the cam and related parts and the labour to install it. I'm looking at doing something to my vz Maloo and found this thread pretty helpful cheers

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
Could someone give us a run down on how much it all cost for the cam and related parts and the labour to install it. I'm looking at doing something to my vz Maloo and found this thread pretty helpful cheers

Cost 3k drive in drive out for my utility

hsv453

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Z series Clubsport
for my clubby which is what this thread is about.. Done by CSV - OTR, Camshaft/seals/retainers etc, tune = $2,700 drive in drive out. Extractors + hiflow cats and shortening my exhaust to suit was an extra $1,400.

lease1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute
Cam, dual valve springs, pushrods installed and tuned $760 which was the cost of hardware delivered from the states. Installed and tuned by myself and a few mates.

VUte89

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz Maloo :)
Haha yea sorry for hi jacking your thread just seemed like the right place to ask cheers guys