Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Chinese Android Head Unit Review - $595

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I recently bought a VF2 Calais with heated seats, after searching around, most don't have cutouts for the heated seat switches, however there is 1 listing that I found that does have the cutouts for the switches.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKLGlyO

Unfortunately it looks like this is the only option to get a head unit suited for the heated seats. Although without having one here or the instructions I'm unable to even see where you would plug the switches into or if they would even work?

I was looking at the one VF300K posted but would require some modification to make the switches work.

If it's anything like this post:
https://www.ssforums.com/threads/finally-got-seat-buttons-to-work-with-aftermarket-head-unit.197498/

It's not "plug and play" and way above my pay grade.

Im a bit tied at the moment between a ksmart module and a complete unit, I would love to keep mylink as the factory buttons are useful but after today's trip (misses has been driving it since I bought it) I'm fairly disappointed in the stuttering on bluetooth the whole hour I was in the car and I have a feeling that a ksmart module will do the same. And not keen on spending $500AUD for a ksmart module for it to stutter and also not keen on spending $550 for Unit to arrive from China to find out the heated seats won't work with it or doesn't have cutouts, when I can buy a $270 Unit that I know definitively doesn't have heated seats.
The blue tooth stuttering only happens on mine when I try and play music straight away. Most of the time it is fine and I have the ksmart module installed. I have reset my blue tooth with my phone and that did help previously. The issue is with Apple with their software updates.

Get the ksmart with the USB option and use the ksmart unit for blue tooth and USB if you use USB for your music. the heated seats will work as normal as the mylink retains all options as it had previously. All the ksmart module does is steal the video from the mylink before it displays to the screen.

SirVicSmasha

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais 6.2L
Your link has this in the description

So the cutouts for the buttons are there but they will not work after installation.
Damn, I must have skipped over that in the description. So they won't work.

Someone on the forums put genuine heated seats in their ute but used an aftermarket heated seat kit. I could get one of these 3 stage kits below.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1859392...WnWGSVvRGO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I highly doubt any of it would be plug and play and would need to repin the switches and heating pads to work with this kit. However I have a feeling that the pins wouldn't just clip into the plugs and would require wires to be cut soldered, which is something I don't want to do as I want to be able to return it to stock if need be. That could mean replacing the pads in the seats which I could do and getting another set of buttons to cut and solder.

I think my only 2 options would be a ksmart module (and run the risk of stuttering) or the $550unit, plus a heated seat kit and pair of switches to rewire/modify to work.

Far different from a $270 but no heated seats.

SirVicSmasha

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais 6.2L
The blue tooth stuttering only happens on mine when I try and play music straight away. Most of the time it is fine and I have the ksmart module installed. I have reset my blue tooth with my phone and that did help previously. The issue is with Apple with their software updates.

Get the ksmart with the USB option and use the ksmart unit for blue tooth and USB if you use USB for your music. the heated seats will work as normal as the mylink retains all options as it had previously. All the ksmart module does is steal the video from the mylink before it displays to the screen.
The issue I had with mine was that I have my Oneplus 11(android) set as #1 on the BT list, initially starting the car it would stutter for 3-5mins and come good but every 5-10 mins it would stutter randomly.

But on Saturday when I was in the car for an hour I switched bluetooth off (on my phone) so it would connect to my wife's phone and it stuttered for 3-5mins befor coming good but would intermittently stutter for 1-2 seconds every 20-30 seconds, making music unbearable to listen to.

Which leads me to believe that it's still trying to search for devices when it shouldn't be and the unit just doesn't have the processing power to search and stream audio at the same time. Which is disappointing.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mylink blue tooth did not have this issue with earlier versions of IOS. I used to stream Pandora back in the day with my previous VF and was fine. I know now at startup it can be a pain until the unit settles down and has gone through it's boot up phase.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

Someone on the forums put genuine heated seats in their ute but used an aftermarket heated seat kit. I could get one of these 3 stage kits below.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1859392...WnWGSVvRGO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I highly doubt any of it would be plug and play and would need to repin the switches and heating pads to work with this kit. However I have a feeling that the pins wouldn't just clip into the plugs and would require wires to be cut soldered, which is something I don't want to do as I want to be able to return it to stock if need be. That could mean replacing the pads in the seats which I could do and getting another set of buttons to cut and solder.

I think my only 2 options would be a ksmart module (and run the risk of stuttering) or the $550unit, plus a heated seat kit and pair of switches to rewire/modify to work.

not sure if the aftermarket heated seats would work well, you need to be mindful that if you wire something wrong it can damage things beyond the module that controls the heated seats.

with the stuttering over bluetooth was the phone anywhere near the mylink screen?

the reason i ask this is the screen module on the mylink puts out a fair bit of emi and it can mess with signals.

something else with bluetooth these days is modern devices attempting to push higher bitrate data over the connection which can cause stuttering(buffering) on older devices.
newer devices have a higher profile of bluetooth ie "bluetooth 5.X" so they can handle the bandwidth but something like the mylink is around the 3 or 4 profile.
poorly optimized apps will not detect the connection profile and adjust the bitrate accordingly or may be blocked from that information due to os restrictions so they just try to use the single bitrate and send it.

the tech in the mylink is over 10 years old now(getting close to 15) so the support for things like older bluetooth is starting to fade which is why newer devices are starting to have issues with mylink.

i cant really comment on the ksmart module and how well it would work for you but on your phone see if you can find an option for lower bitrate or a lower connection profile with bluetooth that might reduce the stuttering.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon

Love the flames on the seats. Is that how they work?

SirVicSmasha

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais 6.2L
Mylink blue tooth did not have this issue with earlier versions of IOS. I used to stream Pandora back in the day with my previous VF and was fine. I know now at startup it can be a pain until the unit settles down and has gone through it's boot up phase.
I havn't spent much time in the car as the misses is driving it daily but everytime I drive it, bluetooth is horrible for the first 5 mins but usually comes good with only a stutter once every 10 minutes or so, which is bareable. Unable to tell with the misses (other than the saturday just gone) because she listens to the radio. No idea how she listens to the verbal diarrhoea of radio hosts and radio adverts.

not sure if the aftermarket heated seats would work well, you need to be mindful that if you wire something wrong it can damage things beyond the module that controls the heated seats.

with the stuttering over bluetooth was the phone anywhere near the mylink screen?

the reason i ask this is the screen module on the mylink puts out a fair bit of emi and it can mess with signals.

something else with bluetooth these days is modern devices attempting to push higher bitrate data over the connection which can cause stuttering(buffering) on older devices.
newer devices have a higher profile of bluetooth ie "bluetooth 5.X" so they can handle the bandwidth but something like the mylink is around the 3 or 4 profile.
poorly optimized apps will not detect the connection profile and adjust the bitrate accordingly or may be blocked from that information due to os restrictions so they just try to use the single bitrate and send it.

the tech in the mylink is over 10 years old now(getting close to 15) so the support for things like older bluetooth is starting to fade which is why newer devices are starting to have issues with mylink.

i cant really comment on the ksmart module and how well it would work for you but on your phone see if you can find an option for lower bitrate or a lower connection profile with bluetooth that might reduce the stuttering.
From the link I posted earlier on the SSForums, my understanding is that wiring would go like this:

Button gets pressed and the head unit sends a signal to the BCM via the CAN network that the switch has been activated. The BCM then tells the head unit to light the up the LEDs (in the switch) and simultanously tells the Heated Seat Module (possibly via CAN) that a heated seat needs to be activated. The heated seat module then sends a PWM signal to the Heating Pads, causing them to heat up. There's probably a whole lot more involved and I would guess there would be thermostat which tells the Heated Seat Module the temp of the pads, so they don't catch fire basically.

Fun tip, if the BCM detects that the car is under high electrical load it will disable the heated seat module (and various other non essential electrical systems.)

These aftermarket heated seat kits are a standalone unit with it's own power and control module, it would be wired in completely seperate from the factory modules and BCM thus shouldn't cause any damage to the original components. The only potential damage I could forsee would be possibly electrically damaging the Factory pads with the incorrect voltages/amps/pwm signal, In which it would probably be wise using the supplied aftermarket heating pads, checking the signal from both the factory and aftermarket pads to make sure they operate the same or Possibly shorting the factory switches again checking if they operate the same factory to aftermarket.

As far as the stuttering, both phones were in the cup holders, passanger seat (being held by the passenger) or in the back seat and not sitting directly on top of/under the head unit, which IMO "shouldn't" be an issue at those distances. Unfortunately neither phone have the support to change the audio sample rate in developer options, so there's no fix there.

As you stated, the tech in mylink is close to 15 years old, hence why I would rather upgrade the unit completely. It will just require some modifications to retain heated seats. If I can get the heated seats wortking the math on the that one $650 for the head unit with the button holes, $100 for factory switches, $70 for a heated seat kit, about $820. . I think it might be worth messaging the ali express link to see if they will supply just the empty facia with button holes or get super handy with a dremel and get the $270 unit and cut the wholes for the buttons and somehow mount/glue them into the facia.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
As you stated, the tech in mylink is close to 15 years old, hence why I would rather upgrade the unit completely. It will just require some modifications to retain heated seats. If I can get the heated seats wortking the math on the that one $650 for the head unit with the button holes, $100 for factory switches, $70 for a heated seat kit, about $820. . I think it might be worth messaging the ali express link to see if they will supply just the empty facia with button holes or get super handy with a dremel and get the $270 unit and cut the wholes for the buttons and somehow mount/glue them into the facia.
Where did you get the tech in mylink is 15 years old? Maybe 11 years but not much more than that. VE had a different system prior to mylink.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Where did you get the tech in mylink is 15 years old? Maybe 11 years but not much more than that. VE had a different system prior to mylink.
he got it from me.

the mylink used in the vf is actually older than the vf and was used in other gm global vehicles while the ve was still being sold and the vf was in development ;)

when the vf2 dropped the cd mech from the silverbox they just removed it and did not actually update anything, a missed opportunity imo but i get it, they were not looking to add more costs.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
he got it from me.

the mylink used in the vf is actually older than the vf and was used in other gm global vehicles while the ve was still being sold and the vf was in development ;)

when the vf2 dropped the cd mech from the silverbox they just removed it and did not actually update anything, a missed opportunity imo but i get it, they were not looking to add more costs.
There was no money left and the engineers had gone..... They only had the accountants with their spreadsheets pulling from the parts bin and thats why we got the special editions. Maybe a handful of engineers during the special edition and VF2 development.

Lucky our version of Mylink had a touch screen. the Opel versions didn't have a touch screen. I remember driving a Cascada and the Mylink version was not touch screen.