Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant Temps

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The knowledge resources of HP Acadamy is amazing. The way they compile just enough free info to inspire some to take up training sessions with them is admirable.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
He sure does love to talk which is probably why their video's are so long.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I should probably add here there is no one right answer (to the question of what is the best or ideal coolant temp?). Your best bet is to run the car up on a dyno and play with coolant temps, AFR's etc and workout what is best for your combination which for most of us isn't feasible, however most of us are also playing with very common engines so there should be an industries worth of knowledge to fall back to.

What bugs me is that for the V6 motor there are only 2 options readily available, 180 and 195°F as its an odd ball thermostat size where as something like the Holden 304/8 used a much more common thermostat size and allows for many more options.

With my little V6 I'm stuck in a compromise of sorts, to make good power I need to keep the blower cool and engine bay temps down to keep those pesky IAT's in check but for good economy Ideally I want to run it a bit warmer. Ideally, a thermostat somewhere in between the 180 and 195°F options would be ideal but such a thing does not exist unless I make 1 out of 2 different thermostats but I'd probably need a tig welder to do that which is something I currently don't have.

edit:which reminds me, I have some cooling system mods to play with....

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yea i was going to write something about coolant temps but its same as the oil thread once u look into it there are even more questions, and it all depends what u want to do, economy, power, racing, drags all use different theories to work best for there situation

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I should probably add here there is no one right answer (to the question of what is the best or ideal coolant temp?). Your best bet is to run the car up on a dyno and play with coolant temps, AFR's etc and workout what is best for your combination which for most of us isn't feasible, however most of us are also playing with very common engines so there should be an industries worth of knowledge to fall back to.

What bugs me is that for the V6 motor there are only 2 options readily available, 180 and 195°F as its an odd ball thermostat size where as something like the Holden 304/8 used a much more common thermostat size and allows for many more options.

With my little V6 I'm stuck in a compromise of sorts, to make good power I need to keep the blower cool and engine bay temps down to keep those pesky IAT's in check but for good economy Ideally I want to run it a bit warmer. Ideally, a thermostat somewhere in between the 180 and 195°F options would be ideal but such a thing does not exist unless I make 1 out of 2 different thermostats but I'd probably need a tig welder to do that which is something I currently don't have.

edit:which reminds me, I have some cooling system mods to play with....

I did wonder about the Super6 Temps,
Mine runs ok, temp wise,
and the Economy is excellent, being is as stock as rock,
Standard Eaton M90,
When I did the LIM Gaskets,

Completely Cleaned the Intake Manifold with a "LOT of Degreaser", and it looked new,
Including the -
Blower Inlets, (Throttle Body, Blower Elbow & the Back end of the Blower) as I replaced the rear needle bearings
(PITA it was to get the old ones out , as they were locktite in, basically destroyed them getting them out) even with the special internal bearing puller I bought just for that specific job, but it worked a treat tho
I replaced the Plugs,
Coils and DFI (I didn't have to, but did because I wanted too)
Changed oil and Filter,
And it pulls approx. 9.5L/100k on a highway run (driving it correctly)
Its due the next service at 200,000 K/s [in approx 400k's]

The temp runs at approx. 1/4 on the gauge,
Haven't checked it with any Live Data from the Autel yet, but I should just for curiosity, and records.
May very well do it now, as I have a run to Bacchus Marsh on Sunday with 3 passengers.

Edit: I did replace the radiator about 2 years ago with a 3 core radiator, hence why it seems runs a bit cooler.
Were it did originally only have a 2 core radiator.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
Amongst other things, I monitor my coolant temps and the run 90-95 degree C on average.

I'm more interested in air intake temps.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
He sure does love to talk which is probably why their video's are so long.
I own 2 courses, and have made it halfway through 1

In about 2 years.

He is just so hard to listen to sometimes. And I'm forever waiting for the next bit wondering if that will be the moment I actually learn something.....

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I got one course but I have the same issue.