Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Crow 4761 - good choice??

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Holden V8 uses pontiac roller rockers, not sbc.
Is there a difference? I had howards 1.65 rockers on my 304 and they look identical to chev rockers? only difference I can imagine is ratio.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Not always. You get more valve open time:lift but you have to deal with the rollers. I've done serveral gen 4 V8's with lifter skid issues from low roller speeds. Roller cams were a race thing until people figured out they could alleviate roller skate (I know) with point pressure. The issue is worn engines struggle to keep the rollers from skating. Flat tappets are far less prone to failure if the first 20 mins of life is sucsessful. Even if you flatten a lobe on a flat cam all the gaskets arr fresh and reusable.
Disagree sorry mate. That munched lifter in the case of a ft cam has gone all through your engine - realistically you need to pull the whole engine apart to refresh.

Roller cam is king for efficiency and reliability.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Disagree sorry mate. That munched lifter in the case of a ft cam has gone all through your engine - realistically you need to pull the whole engine apart to refresh.

Roller cam is king for efficiency and reliability.
Yea sorry you're right but a lot is salvageable.