Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[308] Dizzy installation

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
Better still than risking scoring the piston is use a Eraser tipped pencil... use the eraser end as a tap in the plug hole.mark 1mm segments on the pencil or equal to timing marks...or a drinking straw can be used as well..tape a peace of fuse wire to the block as a reference point..

Pistons are a lot stronger than that, the carbon alone that builds up on the top of them takes a steel wheel grinder to clean.

NZVK308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK sold.. VN3.8 and VX aclaim
Thats true..keeping in tho not all engines will have the same carbon build up ya know so.. to a novice sort of person pays to be cautious ya know? i'm guilty of using a screw driver my self tho i dont like doing it.. i find it just as easy using a torch into the plug hole checking the valve closed use a drinking straw in the plug hole and take it from there..

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
i guess, no harm in being too careful. If you scratched it you'd only score a little extra displacement for free, maybe .00001 of a ci ;)

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
How come everyone is having trouble with this? It's piss easy. Delcowizzid has it spot on. Put your finger over Number 1 plug hole (obviously with the spark plug out), turn the engine over by hand, as soon as you feel compression pushing your finger out of the hole, keep turning it over until the timing mark lines up, thats it you have Number 1 compression stroke. Bang the dizzy in pointing at number 1 post on the dizzy cap. Job done...No need for screwdrivers or any of that crap.