Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Firewall bolts installation goo

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Hi all, Fu Manchu mentioned (somewhere) using some 'goop', 'goo' (whatever it was) for reinstallation of firewall bolts. i.e. Re-installing them after work completed.
I've got some SIKA 227 - anything else I should consider? Main use is to stop water ingress. Or, should I consider actually coating the bolt thread in 'goop'?

Cheers

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I used some sealant around each bolt to be sure. It doesn’t matter too much which it is. Just make sure it’s tidy. Enough to seal. It’s just the washer that provides a seal against metal. Threads into the HVAC itself. I used a bit of pipe insulation tape on the mating surface of the HVAC.
A dob of silicone in the space where the bolt goes. A smear around the underside of the washer on the bolt. Screw it in snug. Wipe up the site so it’s tidy.

Reactions: mtd

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I used some sealant around each bolt to be sure. It doesn’t matter too much which it is. Just make sure it’s tidy. Enough to seal. It’s just the washer that provides a seal against metal. Threads into the HVAC itself. I used a bit of pipe insulation tape on the mating surface of the HVAC.
A dob of silicone in the space where the bolt goes. A smear around the underside of the washer on the bolt. Screw it in snug. Wipe up the site so it’s tidy.
I did nothing. I’ve got no leaks that I’m aware of!

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
..."aware of"

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
I did nothing. I’ve got no leaks that I’m aware of!
I completely understand what you're saying - i get it. I too thought my car was squeaky clean as far as firewall leaks went. I KNOW i had a leak in the roof seal (well-documented and fixed). I KNOW i have leaks in ALL FOUR DOORS (well documented [vap barriers] and I'm onto it - sort of) - but I didn't realise I had a sneaky bugger of a leak in the firewall below right of the brake booster.
Must of been about two years ago I 'thought' I felt something when vacuuming the drivers foot well, but it was a cool day and I thought nothing more of it - maybe some residual water from my feet from the previous rain.

You could say that the door leaks more recently have saved my bacon! On pulling up the drivers carpet (investigating door leaks) I noticed a tell-tale tiny stain running down on the inside of the firewall. More pulling apart... and further evidence of little old pools of dirt with little runs of water trails resembling those pictures you see of Lake Eyre in the dry. A quick splash of water in the engine bay and it came inside. It wasn't a small leak either, and was being camouflaged by that rectangle piece of plastic (or whatever material it is) between the underlay and carpet. I could see the underlay was also saturated further up as well (which told me it wasn't JUST the door leak). Evidence of surface rust (thankfully) told me its been happening for quite a while.

So, yeah, I agree J_D. The bolts do generally keep water out (and this wasn't a bolt leak), but the older my girl gets, I find the more she is becoming a bit incontinent. ;)

BTW, why did they use that plastic sheeting on the front floor underneath the carpet? Is it a comfort/heat sheet? Mine was almost water-sealed to the underlay, and it certainly doesn't help the underlay/carpet dry out.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
That leak around the pedals. You fixed it yeah?

The plate that the pedals are bolted to on mine was rusted out. The metal is the worst quality steel. I found mine by accident. Caused by moisture behind the booster insulation panel in the engine bay just sitting too long.

Also a leak from the two heater hoses at the fire wall. Coolant was wicking through the insulation panels and corroding the crap metal of the pedal plate. Combined with the moist insulation pad behind the booster. It wasn’t good.

Quite common for wreckers to find these plates rusted out. As I found out trying to find one to replace what I had. I got a new one. Also expoxied it liberally before installing.

VF had high density plastic here. It’s what the VE should have had.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

The plate that the pedals are bolted to on mine was rusted out. The metal is the worst quality steel. I found mine by accident. Caused by moisture behind the booster insulation panel in the engine bay just sitting too long.

Also a leak from the two heater hoses at the fire wall. Coolant was wicking through the insulation panels and corroding the crap metal of the pedal plate. Combined with the moist insulation pad behind the booster. It wasn’t good.

Quite common for wreckers to find these plates rusted out. As I found out trying to find one to replace what I had. I got a new one. Also expoxied it liberally before installing.

VF had high density plastic here. It’s what the VE should have had.
Or they could have galvanised the metal plate. They obviously didn’t bother to do this is it rusts worse than an old Alfa Romeo.

I obviously caught my coolant leak from the heater hose attachment at the firewall in time then. No coolant got inside from mine but the fibreglass matting on the firewall was stuffed from soaking up coolant so it had to come out.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Yes, my mechanic (very old school, and older than me which is nice...) noticed that leak first. I think at the time he was doing something to the booster/brakes (this was a few years ago - maybe 4). He told me the same story you just recalled and how he'd seen a few with that plate buggered. When he told me about this issue he said "Holden really should have their hand slapped for that ****". Best part is he's Dutch, and half-deaf, so he's never really got rid of the Dutch accent (he's been here for about 35 years). The thick accent makes his disdain very funny. I'm glad he found it, and I shouted him a Rum in addition to the bill. Mine wasn't too bad at that point thankfully. He reckons some cars suffer, others don't. Depends on garaging, weather, slope of driveway, moon rising in the East, etc etc. I never would have caught it - well maybe until my car became a Flinstones Calais.

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
images