Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting Gas bonnet lifters to a VN

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
One thing to be careful of, with the models that already have struts they are prone to breaking the hinge and then the corner of the bonnet drops back into the windscreen and cracks it. To avoid this keep the hinges lubricated.

vh_v8

Reaction score
nicely done. one of my mates had this done to his vn and you don't realise how good it is till its done. i will certainly be doing it to my vh eventually then i just have to find a way to smooth the bonnet corners to make them head-friendly.

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
Oh so this is where i should have looked before attempting the gas strut install. Yeah that coat hanger idea is great, i went and used a socket wrench and then spent twenty minutes fishing the nut out of the bottom of the bonnet after i dropped it (magnetic screwdrivers are great but not always foolproof). I agree it is a great mod, good work on the how-to!

vnsmanual

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S Manual
hey mate just wondering if the bolt mount things from a vn wagon strut would be ok. like the four bolts on the tailgate?

raw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V8
Why does it say you need VP-VS struts, I went to Holden spare parts today to see if they had one of these kits and they said they had one for VN...anyway, it was $100 for just the struts and another $33 for just the two 90 degree fitting thingo's, so I'm just going to buy off ebay instead. But it looks like they just sell the struts only. Where's the best place to get the fittings?

nstone63

wants a new car
Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VN Executive
I did mine, and the RAA bloke was all like 'phwaaaa' when he brought me a new battery

raw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V8
Why does it say you need VP-VS struts, I went to Holden spare parts today to see if they had one of these kits and they said they had one for VN...anyway, it was $100 for just the struts and another $33 for just the two 90 degree fitting thingo's, so I'm just going to buy off ebay instead. But it looks like they just sell the struts only. Where's the best place to get the fittings?

Nevermind, went to wreckers and got a kit for 35. All I need now is a coathanger :yeah:

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Why does it say you need VP-VS struts

Pretty sure it was extremely rare to have them on a VN (if at all from factory?). VP-VS that all had them as standard are much easier to get hold of from wreckers etc!

Glad you got it sorted though. IIRC I paid about $25 all up for my kit from the wreckers.