Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

***Ford to be killed off V8 Supercars circuit at end of 2015***

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Crap Article said:
Then the 22 year-old war, made famous by Johnson and Peter Brock, will be over.

I am sure the rivalry is a little longer than that.....Nothing like getting your facts right.

Crap article...of course there will be Fords on the grid...plenty of race teams exist around the world without factory support, batshit boring series anyway aside from this weekend.

IMO V8SC is on its last legs.....perhaps the Aus-Am racing serries will replace it.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
The article in the OP is what's commonly known as "sensationalist clickbait".

Exactly. The article is so full of **** and misinformation, the amount of times they say (or imply) that Fords will NOT AT ALL NO WAY POSSIBLE be racing after 2015 is stupid. Sensationalist media at its finest.

I also note that there is no other reputable motorsports website reporting this yet, so it makes me wonder where the "information" has come from. My guess is that a writer has been given the job of increasing traffic and has taken what we all knew anyway (Ford pulling factory funding) and worded it to hype up a story around the time when V8 fans are regularly checking news sites.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Exactly. The article is so full of **** and misinformation, the amount of times they say (or imply) that Fords will NOT AT ALL NO WAY POSSIBLE be racing after 2015 is stupid. Sensationalist media at its finest.

I also note that there is no other reputable motorsports website reporting this yet, so it makes me wonder where the "information" has come from. My guess is that a writer has been given the job of increasing traffic and has taken what we all knew anyway (Ford pulling factory funding) and worded it to hype up a story around the time when V8 fans are regularly checking news sites.

quick we need some sensationalist article in the runup to Bathurst this weekend - kgo.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
In other news

No Cookies | Fox Sports News, Live Sport, Sports | Fox Sports

THE boss of Ford Performance Racing is urging Ford fans not to give up hope and that they are doing everything in their power to keep the manufacturer in V8 Supercars.

The Daily Telegraph exclusively revealed that Ford will end its commercial support of V8 Supercars racing at the end of the 2014 season, with the prospect of no Fords on the grid after 2015.

FPR team principal Tim Edwards denies any final decision has been made, and that the team is still in deep negotiations with Ford Australia about an extension to their current contract, which expires at the end of 2014.

“It’s not technically true what’s being reported,” Edwards told Fox Sports News.

“At the moment we are still in negotiations with Ford about a future agreement. It’s premature to say that it’s a lost cause.

“It’s taken us a while to get to this point but we are still negotiating with them. It’s not a fait accompli at this stage.”

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Anybody old enough to remember 1799 Ford 1-2 at Bathurst???

Fair go, Reap. Even I'm not old enough to remember back then......

1977, however.....the only time I can remember the finishing order being doctored to suit an ego.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Fair go, Reap. Even I'm not old enough to remember back then......

1977, however.....the only time I can remember the finishing order being doctored to suit an ego.

Hahaha oops. Either way Ford dominated and then flushed it all away. They are very lucky that Dick Johnson came good with the XD (no thanks to Ford as they didn't even want to race the car and went out of their way to make it hard). Of course the RS500 was the car to have by the late 80's but that had nothing what so ever to do with Ford Australia either. Pretty sure it was all Shell money that DJR had with limited if any factory support in Aus.

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
One thing with the XD Reaper I was reading "The Rise and Fall of Peter Brock" which was written with the HDT driver John Harvey. It mentions that the Falcon was given advantages compared to the Commodore to make it competitive and there were controversies about the Commodore including minimum weight (Dick Johnson is meant to have said it should have been in the order of 1,400kgs which is quite heavy for a car that size and I think heavier then a roomier VS) and cylinder heads which resulted in Peter Brock at one stage forfeiting points for six rounds of the championship.

Not taking away from Dick Johnson's ability or anything like that (I personally believe he has a legitimate claim to being Australia's best ever touring car driver) but if you believe one version of events the Commodore in the early days could have been even stronger and possibly have more touring car championships. The late 80s with Group A is a different story.