Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with shudder on VF Calais V S2 2015 V6

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
The Tcc lockup is based on speed not RPm - can only comment on V8 and locks from 2nd upwards from 44kph
The stock converter is designed to slip into lock to reduce harshness and this is controllable based on RPM - how much slip it allows when locking up.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Also I would suggest your converter is on the way out. Your 'fix' is a band-aid - the clutch material or something else is worn.

LeighC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega V Commodore V6 Dual Fuel
My early VE V6 does the vibration at 74 KMH & only happens a couple of times a year, I just manually pull it back to 3rd gear (4 speed auto). Used to be a bit worrying because it feels like a tyre is delaminating.
Thanks for the info, I will try switching the AC next time it happens.
Cheers - Leigh

Marty 66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Not sure about the "band aid" fix.

A reputable transmission business identifies / confirms a minor TCC shudder and instead of recommending a $2,500 torque converter replacement, or a flush or a service (happens to be what they do for a living) states that it is a known issue, have come across this issue many times before and suggests a TCM re calibration. Mechanic / tuner that does this has a file ready to go as it's a known issue. Air con on and the shudder doesn't happen as mentioned.

I get that clutches can wear - but it seems to me to be a clutch adjustment without using spanners.
I would imagine that GM tune the trans to be right on the limits for economy verses drive ability and sometimes due to minor build variations an issue like this arises.
Had a trans service done anyway and no issues found.

We'll see how we go.

David Delf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais Series 2
Hi there.
Under light load the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) can lock up early and cause a shuddering / lugging sensation. Note that the TCC does not just lock up in top gear but in most gears. It's an economy thing. I'm sure Holdens / GM know all about it. Poor design really. This can be fixed by a TCM re calibration. It is done using HP tuners and there is a guy in Adelaide that does this at a cost of $375.00. Changes the rpm point at which the TCC locks up.
Best way i can explain the shuddering i had is that it feels like the car is in too high of a gear and is laboring going up slight hills under light throttle at around 60kM per hour. Annoying !
I was passed onto this mechanic for a TCM retune by Rowell & Searle here in Adelaide after they checked my car for the shuddering / lugging i was experiencing. Re calibration fixed it.
The recalibration will decrease fuel efficiency slightly but it's a small price to pay. Pretty sure the RPM for lockup was increased around 50 rpm (could be wrong).
Not sure where you are exactly located but there would be tuners near you that could do this.
By the way - this is a very common problem - most people must just put up with it i guess. Not me !
Thanks for all the information and advice. I will certainly look in to this and let you know the outcome.