Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How much power can you get out of a 304?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Not at all. 304's can make good power for not a huge amount of money. It also depends on how much work you can do. If someone else does all the work it will cost considerably more.
It also comes down to your definition of good power.

For the engines age/technology 200rwkw is massive. 165kw at the fly in their day was a big deal in the age of engines being choked by emissions restrictions etc and almost every car magazine wrote about them when the VN dropped (considering the VL 304 was 130 odd kw).

You have to keep in mind that the LS is a very modern platform. The 308/304 is essentially an engine from 1969 with some primative EFI hardware bolted to the top of it.

Unfortunately we live in a day and age now where anything under 500hp is considered not worth the effort as technology has advanced so much. Hell a mate of mine has a 1.6L turbo daily driver that makes more than 200kw with 10 years of warranty.

I'd be quite happy with mine after spending probs 10-15k on the build to crack 250rwkw with a 355. But I'm more insterested in torque being a street car, the 304/355 is a very torquey engine and a well built 355 can easily push 600 even 800+nm of torque with the right heads/cam etc while only making say 240kw. Thats going to make it a much more fun street car than say a 350kw LS would.

I remember seeing a 355 built by Marks Workshop in WA a few years ago that was a whipple blown 355 with big yella terra heads. While it only made around 280RWKW with all the boost it was pushing around 1200nm at 4000RPM.

They are quite easy to get power out of, but not via bolt on modifications like an LS.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
But the reality is that those engine make good power and come with a electronic nanny to make sure the average driver doesn't kill themselves. 400hp 304/355 will get you into trouble real quick if you don't respect it.

Factory the 304 made 165kw, a tune and exhaust turns that into an easy 185kw and HSV got that to 200kw with a small cam. These motors are really under rated.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
But the reality is that those engine make good power and come with a electronic nanny to make sure the average driver doesn't kill themselves. 400hp 304/355 will get you into trouble real quick if you don't respect it.

Factory the 304 made 165kw, a tune and exhaust turns that into an easy 185kw and HSV got that to 200kw with a small cam. These motors are really under rated.
Also factoring in the weight of the car too.

The 1st and 2nd gen commodores were way lighter than the 3rd/4th gen which makes them a lot more lively as you add power.

Still my favourite engine in existence apart from the mopar big blocks. I'll never do an LS swap.

I'd spend $40k to make a Holden V8 fast before doing an LS conversion. It's good to see more people doing the aftermarket Holden blocks now, competition will mean better prices.

I'd love to do a dedicated Holden powered race car one day.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
When I had my VE SS ute the power increase with cold air, extractors, 2 1/2 exhaust and a tune made an extra 50 rwkw so 257 rwkw. At the Queensland Auto Spectacular my time on the track was 13.5 at 105 mph. Lights go green take off, no science.

At the end of next month after a few years off it is back on again. This time with the VH I will have another go. The VH has 215 rwkw but is roughly 400 kw lighter. Hopefully it doesn't rain and I will be able to compare the two.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I thought stock gaskets were .040" thick?

I too have considered the MLS gaskets, they are also available in .029" thick I believe but probably cheaper to get the .040" and remove one layer as you suggested. Copper coat gasket sealer?
They are .027 from cometic (what I am running)
Isn't the trick to buy 1x the 53thou (or whatever around that size they offer) split it in half and bingo, a pair of thin gaskets.
I would have to see one to confirm if it's possible or not though.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Stockish 304 only way to make that scary is whack a whipple on top & be in lightest car available.

All things depend on budget,project car & build theme that person is aiming for.

Having had dailies LS & 304 powered with bolt on mods...LS is/was better bang for bucks but 304 still sounds better.

However stepping up a few notches like 450-500hp 355 stroker big cam blah blah blah blah compared to LS equivalent a glutton for punishment like me prefers holden v8 even though not a streetable.

LS with same power be more reliable just wont sound or feel as good as wild holden v8 that will send you broke lol