Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VE] How to Fix VE Flickering Pod Gauge LED Lights on E1/E2/E3 HSV's

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
If your reading this, I imagine you have the infamous flickering or dead LED lights for the HSV E1/E2 or E3 gauges!

Don't worry, you don't need to fork out a fortune to replace them, they just need the LEDs replaced. Its VERY common issue these days.

Instead of making a picture tutorial guide, it was actually faster just to film what I do, so I have thrown together a quick video today showing how fix the infamous flicker!

It does go without saying, but just to be thorough:
Follow this guide at your own risk! This guide is provided 'as is', I am not responsible for any damages that may be incurred.

Also, when I say 'skill' at the beginning, I meant experience! :p

At the end, I did actually forget to put the last two security screws into the back of the gauge before ending the video so don't forget that step!

Here are some common question/answers I get about attempting to fix these yourself. Let me know if there are any others!
Q: I have an old soldering ion in the shed, will that do?
A: I don't recommend using a soldering ion that is not temp controlled, and doesnt have a clean fine tip otherwise you will damage multiple things on the board!

Q: Where do I get the LEDs from? And what solder should I use?
A: I purchase high quality LEDs direct from a mouser (Reputable embedded electronics distributor): http://au.mouser.com/Optoelectronics/LED-Lighting/_/N-74g9t?Keyword=PLCC2&FS=True
As for the solder, the one I use is from JayCar which is the 60/40 200g 0.7mm (yellow sticker).

Q: Can you fix mine? Do you have a service?
A: Unfortunately I don't have a service I provide at the moment. Just simply due to lack of free time! The ones I get in are taken from HSV vehicles to provide in upgrade kits.

Q: I see there are services for fixing this on places like gumtree and Ebay, are they safe to use?
A: Quick Answer... I wouldnt recommend. I fix their mistakes later down the track.
Most people that provide any colour conversions or changes on our commodores tend to use cheap and nasty LEDS (THEY DONT LAST!). Just like the gauge I pulled apart in the video, it had been done previously and had failed already.
I recommend using a dedicated gauge repair place, this ensures they won't bugger it up!
Here is one place I recommend: http://www.gauge-shop.com.au/

Q: How do I remove the gauges from my car?
A: This answer requires its own dedicated guide. Basically need to undo all screws holding the E1/E2 pod in, and on E3s you will need to pull off the entire faceplate. Unplug the harnesses into gauges and unscrew the white locking nut (I screw this off in the video).

Q: I forgot which order they go back into the car!
A: Battery, temperature, pressure

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Video is a little bit grainy.. not too happy about that. GoPro doesnt like low lighting much.
Also the volume may need to be increase a bit to hear me!

Can still see all the main things occurring. :D

One thing I can't stress enough, bad LED's = short life.
Which is exactly the case I had with the gauge, it had already been redone by someone else and failed which I would suspect due to bad LEDs.
Even with good LEDs, they WILL fail again, but shouldn't be again for another 3-5years. Its a design fault with the gauges, they allow too much current which runs the LEDs at high brightness and burns them out quicker. Personally havent checked the exact volts/amps reading, but its what happens when you run LEDs too high for too long.