Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] How to install high ratio roller rockers from MACE

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Good idea to check the preload on each valve too. A young bloke fitted some once and he had problems with preload. In the end he pulled them as they caused problems. I tried to explain the process but he pulled them before I could do a write up. Or IIRC I was going to phone him and walk him through it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You don't have to run new push rods (except with the 1.98 ratio) but I would highly recommend new push rods when fitting new rockers. I've seen a few pulled apart and most push rods I've seen have wear on the end.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
You don't have to run new push rods (except with the 1.98 ratio) but I would highly recommend new push rods when fitting new rockers. I've seen a few pulled apart and most push rods I've seen have wear on the end.
There used to be a good pic on here showing the casting flash. I think some of the Vy's couldn't use 1.98 even with the thinner walled push rods ? Many people would have reconditioned heads by now so could be form nay model but you would hope they clean those up when putting in new valves and checking the heads (supplier that is).

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
does it matter where the crank is? eg valves open closed for the torque setting? thanks Justin. love your channel

Start watching around 5 minutes to get the idea. Probably one of the best videos going around and great build to watch.

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
That would be the proper way. I just bolt em all on, use a small rattle gun to do up all the cap screws and then torque all the ones that are on the base circle (easy to see what is what when all the rockers are on), then turn it over and do the ones that had open valves previously. No need to run through multiple rotations of the engine.

There used to be a good pic on here showing the casting flash. I think some of the Vy's couldn't use 1.98 even with the thinner walled push rods ? Many people would have reconditioned heads by now so could be form nay model but you would hope they clean those up when putting in new valves and checking the heads (supplier that is).

I'd wager no. Cleaning those casting flashes does not contribute to making power or increasing reliability so I'd wager no one would touch them unless they knew about the high ratio rocker issue.

Next time I have a ecotec apart I'll take some photos of push rods and rockers to show how/where they wear.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Thanks immortality. I ran YT 1.95 rollers back in the day. They lasted around 75,000ks until stock springs broke. Not the issue of the rocker. I wonder if Mace 1.98's are really 1.95's with the stock style gaining that extra lift ? I've never seen rods wear on the body, only around the oil holes. I understand they spin ? I have a set of 1.98's sealed in the pack. Tempted to chuck em on the old girl.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi mate,

I have seen pictures of push rods that fouled on the casting flashes where the push rods pass through the heads but I really can't remember I saw those unfortunately.

Push rods spin when you have flat tappet hydraulic lifter which spin on the cam lobe, with roller lifter there is nothing to spin the push rods which is why I think you get wear in the rocker push rod cup/push rod tip.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Hi mate,

I have seen pictures of push rods that fouled on the casting flashes where the push rods pass through the heads but I really can't remember I saw those unfortunately.

Push rods spin when you have flat tappet hydraulic lifter which spin on the cam lobe, with roller lifter there is nothing to spin the push rods which is why I think you get wear in the rocker push rod cup/push rod tip.
Was the wear on stock rockers or high ratio ? For the push rod walls

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The wear along the push rod was on a car with 1.98 rockers and stock push rods. Wear on the push rod end/rocker cups was high mileage stock rockers. Seen this a few times.