Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 ignition timing advance.

tim_pato

Reaction score
Members Ride
daily-5.0 5spd vr ss clubodore, project-74 lh rana
I rang the number on the crane website. He said DO NOT soak them in oil. It puts undue load on the lobes straight away, the paste they supply has grit in it. He also said do not put cam paste on the sides of the lifters, it stops them spinning, so looks like I'm pulling the manifold back off. The cam paste WILL block the oil filter so change it as soon as the cam is run in. He also said to set the engine so it will fire up instantly, where should I put the piston, halfway up the exhaust stroke on number 1?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Doesn't matter where you put the piston, one of them will be in the right spot to make sure it fires up. Timing is the issue. When setting up the dizzy, put it bang on the post at TDC, then rotate it anticlockwise about 10 degrees. Put a mark on the dizzy body where the post is so you know where to point the button.

I soaked mine, so do most people.

tim_pato

Reaction score
Members Ride
daily-5.0 5spd vr ss clubodore, project-74 lh rana
I set the dizzy on 10 btdc with the degree wheel, it also lined up nicely with the balancer and timing cover (10 btdc) lots of people recommend soaking them, but the manufacturer does not. I'm inclined to go with the manufacturers instructions on this one. I've just spent 3 years being told to always go with the manufacturers specifications, plumbing apprenticeship and everyone drums it into you to do what the manufacturer says to do.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Fair enough. But sometimes experience is different to manufacturers instructions.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Sorry mate im thinking more along the lines of solid lifters not hydraulic.
Either way, a well lubricated valve train couldn't hurt for initial start up...just don't saturate them then.