Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Immobilizer woes

waikato willy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1984 VK calais
so this is the result of a failed module on my RA rodeo 4jj1
so either the key went kaput or the module itself ( module is located passenger side dash to the left of the glove box)
now being the tight ass I am I was not paying a locksmith $500 plus dollars to code a new key or replace faulty module

usually if the key is not reading the engine light will flash , this was not the case , ignition would turn on but the cluster would not perform a gauge sweep and was not backlight , really strange , and the ute would fire for a couple of seconds and die eventually not turning over at all

My auto sparky mates fancy Autel scan tool would not even pick up the key module for the security

I have for free a complete RC Colorado less engine crashed
this has all the ignition and security intact and was running
I though simple enough change the ignition RFID receiver ring and the Key module , switch ignition barrel and a few plugs
However the looms are different , the RC Colorado has a different module and a separate wireless key receiver compared to the RA rodeo
so out with the whole dash to swap looms
the drivers door loom needed to be swapped as well as the plug was slightly different
After 8 hrs of swapping I'm happy to say this all worked properly , what a mission , but at least now its got the updated security key stuff which is easier to diagnose if it ever faults again
All that's left is to reset the airbag module

so be aware RA rodeos with the 4jh1 4jj1 motors have a different loom / security key set up compared to the RC Holden Colorado but the loom all plugs in and the 4WD plug is also generic between the 2WD and the 4WD looms

20240413_150415.jpg

20240413_130048.jpg

Reactions: Lex