Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this a VS Forden, or a VS Holdord ?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Neither. It's a Commodore with an engine transplant. This conversion has been around for some time and even though the engine is from Ford, a straight 6 is actually what was originally destined for the 2nd gen Commodore engine bay as Holden originally intended to run the Nissan motors which also had the Turbo option so if you think about it, a turbo barra isn't to far from what was originally going to end up under the bonnet of a VN Commodore which may well have carried over to later models.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Neither. It's a Commodore with an engine transplant. This conversion has been around for some time and even though the engine is from Ford, a straight 6 is actually what was originally destined for the 2nd gen Commodore engine bay as Holden originally intended to run the Nissan motors which also had the Turbo option so if you think about it, a turbo barra isn't to far from what was originally going to end up under the bonnet of a VN Commodore which may well have carried over to later models.
That’s why the whole Commodore series up to VZ had sooo much room in front of the engine as the chassis was originally designed to cop a straight six engine (the old pushrod sixes in the VB-VK Commodores). That gap in front of the engine got closed up on the VE-VF to have minimal front overhang past the front wheels seeing as it was only intended to have V6 or V8 options.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Barra swaps are really common....

There is a wrecker in the Northern burbs of Adelaide that actually supply looms for barras into anything....That's how common it is....

I have a mate that put a barra into a 2000ish Merc van...Originally it was a 4 cyl diesel...The motor was foobarred, so he went the barra route....The wrecker I mentioned supplied the loom so he could get it running.....

I have also seen barras in a HB Torana, VH commodore and Holden Rodeo...Not to mention this one

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
they a bloody good engine the falcon used be number one car used for the taxis industry until it was discontinued

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It took Ford a long time to get that engine right though, no end of troubles with head gaskets on earlier iterations of that motor.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe Steve Morris is working on something for the Barra, not sure if it's an billet block or head possibly but he's made mention of it a few times in passing on his other video's.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
1,000 HP taxi...!!