Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JB Weld vs 91 & E85 - Submersion Test

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Never tried immersing it in fuel, but JB Weld is a great epoxy adhesive for general repairs, I've even drilled and tapped holes for small machine screws and it holds up well.

I use it to bond target rifle actions to wood and composite stocks for stress free bedding, no problems with recoil on heavy target rifles, but takes quite a bit of heat to get the actions to disbond.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Never tried immersing it in fuel, but JB Weld is a great epoxy adhesive for general repairs, I've even drilled and tapped holes for small machine screws and it holds up well.

I use it to bond target rifle actions to wood and composite stocks for stress free bedding, no problems with recoil on heavy target rifles, but takes quite a bit of heat to get the actions to disbond.
What are your thoughts on using it as a temp fix on those two thin, really long bolts at the back of an LS sump that go into the seal plate.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I'd be keen to see this on their fuel tank repair epoxy. Apparently it's Ethanol resistant, just curious how long is long with a temporary product

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
What are your thoughts on using it as a temp fix on those two thin, really long bolts at the back of an LS sump that go into the seal plate.
Prep is everything! You'd need to get it clean enough to bond, get the epoxy in the right spot, release agent on the bolt threads, and not over torque the bolts. Probably do as a temporary repair.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Prep is everything! You'd need to get it clean enough to bond, get the epoxy in the right spot, release agent on the bolt threads, and not over torque the bolts. Probably do as a temporary repair.
Yeah a long tube on some brake cleaner can might clean the holes out. I might give it a go when I do the sump gasket. Can't be any worse. Loctite sort of worked and has stopped them rattling loose and falling out.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yeah a long tube on some brake cleaner can might clean the holes out. I might give it a go when I do the sump gasket. Can't be any worse. Loctite sort of worked and has stopped them rattling loose and falling out.
Remove the seal plate. The plate is where they often leak from where it meets the sump.

I did the job twice because I just replaced the rear main and sump gasket. Didn’t replace the rear plate gasket which was the sole cause of the leak.

I wouldn’t make that mistake again, do it all at once or not at all.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Agree it would be interesting to know the results from 98, which is a more pure form of petrol than 91 is, and more widely used than E85 is. .

It's not just about the base petrol, it's also about the additives.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
After just over 9 months of emersion, I checked the two samples this morning.

UJIviWS.jpg

After a squish with the pliers, 91 is still rock hard, E85 fell away.....

W8oDkAZ.jpg

.....and just crumbled between my fingers.

0EAfoL0.jpg

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
This provides great info as we now know without doubt that JB Weld doesn't play nice in E85 :cool: