Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Light Painting / Light Graf

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Some random playing around...

_7090017.jpg

_7090018-1.jpg

_7090019-1.jpg

_7090024.jpg

_7090009-1.jpg

Last edited:

Agnu

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Members Ride
VYII S Ute
Here's one from the other day. I'm usually a static lighting person so it was just an experiment really - but I like how it came out. Sure light painting only works in the perfect of environments, but when you can get away with it, it is a lot easier to get desired results than static lighting, due to the fact that you can effectively turn a 4x3' softbox into an 8x3' strip light, and have 100% control over reflections. This was done with the modelling light from a strobe with a 4x3' box attached. I was about a foot a way from the car at all times and just walked around and feathered the side/bonnet/front bar.
5063831975_d92c330f74_z.jpg

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Agnu, the one thing I dislike with Light painting is the fact it produces a fakish looking image, if that makes sense?

I am currently playing with 2-3 min exposures with a 2nd curtain fire of lighting, still perfecting it, but it looks magic when you get the light trails and colours fromt he night sky matched with even light across the car. Havent been out for a while due to the stupid wind around here :/

Agnu

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Members Ride
VYII S Ute
I entirely agree Minux, and I know it's not for everybody. I do, although, like a certain amount of 'fakeness' to some of my photos, like the one above. I don't know why, but i'm quite attracted to them - see Easton Chang's work for example. His work has this 'fake' element to a lot of the imaging (brought on by seriously complicated lighting and large amounts of processing) but he's still by far my favourite Auto photographer around. To each their own entirely, but in my logic, if we want to keep up with Troy Witte and the other CG guys around then we need to step up our game, not only in lighting, but also on the computer. Just my way of doing things, but it seems to work alright for now :).