Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS Series Engine Manual Haynes Techbook

Davemac

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SSV Redline & 2009 SS Sportswagon
Does anyone have one of these? Is it any good and does it cover the L77?

I used to have a number of books on V8 engine building (the David Vizard one being the best) but this was before I knew about the LS1.

I have an L77 and want to upgrade it this winter with a DOD delete, cam etc, and I'd like to find a good rebuild book and the only one I can find is the Haynes one.

Any other options?

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
These days between youtube and google there isn't much need for anything else but the old gregorys or haynes just to find out some torque settings. It's a pretty straight forward job if you are handy with the tools. Get yourself the proper ls harmonic balancer puller to save some grief and the ls specific valve spring tool is a good thing to, just a cheapy from ebay has served me well.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I have a few of them as pdf form. I’ll upload and link over the next few days.

Davemac

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SSV Redline & 2009 SS Sportswagon
These days between youtube and google there isn't much need for anything else but the old gregorys or haynes just to find out some torque settings. It's a pretty straight forward job if you are handy with the tools. Get yourself the proper ls harmonic balancer puller to save some grief and the ls specific valve spring tool is a good thing to, just a cheapy from ebay has served me well.

Thanks for the heads up on the balancer removal and valve spring tools. I am starting afresh with tools as I sold everything I had back in Scotland 16 years ago when I moved to Indonesia. It's good to be able to do this work again. The L77 is a different beast from the old Chev 350 I built back then so a nice new learning curve. I am busy collecting all the bits I need to start the work around May this year. I might grab the book if I spot a copy at a decent price. The PDF is fine but I like the book better when it comes to technical stuff and easier to jump to pages I need.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The PDF is fine but I like the book better when it comes to technical stuff and easier to jump to pages I need.
You can print a pdf and spiral bind the pages… and it’s easy to replace any grease and oil smudged pages as they occur :p But I hear what your saying :cool: