Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ls2 double row timing on a Ls1

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
Will a double row timing chain (Rollmaster 1185) fit an LS1? I have read that single row standard timing chains but ca

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I have an aftermarket set on mine. No modification required with the parts I purchased from VCM. Did the cam, oil pump, springs and lifters at the same time.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
I have an aftermarket set on mine. No modification required with the parts I purchased from VCM. Did the cam, oil pump, springs and lifters at the same time.
Is that LS2 double row on your Ls1 ?

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Is that LS2 double row on your Ls1

Sorry mate I misread the question in relation to an LS2. No mine wasn’t an LS2 chain specifically but as far as I am know the chains are the same. The key is having the right cam sprocket.

So as long as you have the right sprocket the LS2 chain should work. Check out VCMs website, plenty of good info there.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
slight changes in sump, oil pump and front cover may have rubbing issues with a double chain but aside from that and mentioned correct cam sprocket all are usable

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
slight changes in sump, oil pump and front cover may have rubbing issues with a double chain but aside from that and mentioned correct cam sprocket all are usable
The chain https://www.enginemaster.com.au/rollmaster-holden-chev-ls2-double-row-billet-timin comes with oil pump bolts and spacers will they stop the rubbing issues ? The reason I am asking I been offered a brand new one in a box for very cheap price and I have upgrade the single row to support added mods

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
Sorry mate I misread the question in relation to an LS2. No mine wasn’t an LS2 chain specifically but as far as I am know the chains are the same. The key is having the right cam sprocket.

So as long as you have the right sprocket the LS2 chain should work. Check out VCMs website, plenty of good info there.
The sprocket looks correct only difference I can find it is for a single cam position sensor which i dont have in the timing case cover anyway

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
That’s right the cam position sensor is in the block so it should be fine.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
I am just reading up on The US forums about the Double rollers causing the Mellings oil pumps to hit on the ls timing case covers

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Well worth replacing the oil pump while you are there. That is why Inwent with VCM and got everything I needed in one go.