Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Screeching (?) sound coming presumably from steering column in VE Series II Commodore

eightfour

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SV6 Wagon
Hi all,
I recently purchased a used VE SV6 wagon, and as I've been driving it over the past few weeks, every few drives I take there is a weird screeching sound, almost like some kind of scoreboard buzzer with the pitch turned up. I've got no clue as to what it could be, I was thinking something to do with the steering wheel itself but the sound comes from deeper into the steering column, almost into the dash. If anyone has had this issue, knows what exactly it is and knows how to fix it I'd very much appreciate any help I can get.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Hi all,
I recently purchased a used VE SV6 wagon, and as I've been driving it over the past few weeks, every few drives I take there is a weird screeching sound, almost like some kind of scoreboard buzzer with the pitch turned up. I've got no clue as to what it could be, I was thinking something to do with the steering wheel itself but the sound comes from deeper into the steering column, almost into the dash. If anyone has had this issue, knows what exactly it is and knows how to fix it I'd very much appreciate any help I can get.
Lift the bonnet then start the engine and turn the steering wheel each way, and if it squeals in the engine bay it might need a new belt and may need a new idler pulley.
Also if it squeals when you hit the go pedal same thing applies.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
In the VR/VS days there was a grommet (or something similar) where the steering column went through the fire wall. Over time the lubricant dried out and caused squeaking. VZ may be similar. Needed to have grease poked down where the grommet met the firewall to fix the squeak. Worth a try before looking at more exotic solutions.

eightfour

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SV6 Wagon
Thank you both for your ideas, but I feel that I should clarify that it hasn't got anything to do with mechanical parts (at least I think), but rather something electronic, it sounds like a buzzer that has no sense of consistency. It isn't exactly a squeak but more of a screech, but I've got no idea as to what is a) underneath the trim pieces behind the wheel in terms of electronics, and b) why anything would be making such a sound.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Are you able to get a recording of the sound and post it here ?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Is just a flogged out power steering pump?

Does it occur only when the engine is on?

Does it occur when the engine is off but accessories are running?

If when accessories running, turn the fan off. Does it still make the noise?