Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tuning VS V8 Ignition timing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Untamed_VS355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 5.7
Hi All,

Could anyone plz help with these two queries. I'm trying to tune the ignition timing on my VS Executive V8, 355 Stroker; but I ran into two problems:

1) The beast has a Haltech E6GMX computer (with MSD 6A ignition) - but according to the repair manual I need to set the computer to diagnostic mode by earthing certain wires. I've checked the Haltech website but can't find how to do this with this computer.

I don't have a laptop so I can't do this the easy way via the software.

Is there any generic way or something of doing this (setting to diagnostic mode), or does anyone know how to do it for particular computer?

2) The distributor seems very hard to get to. Any idea on how to get to it to loosen bolt, etc for rotating?

Thanks guys. I can provide pics if needed.

Cheers,
Mars

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
On a VS you use the to pins in the middle of the top row of the diagnostic plug under the steering wheel. Then with a timing light on Cylinder #1 you adjust the dizzy until you are on +10 degrees. Then in your haltech set the cruising timing to about 38 degrees (depending slightly on camshaft etc) then set your wide open full revs timing to about 28-34 degrees (again depending on the combo) mid range wide open can be 26-30. Idle will be about 26-30. That should get you close

P.S for the dizzy spanner get a 9/16th spanner and cut/bend it so it can get in there onto the dizzy bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.