Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

v8 newbie

bensta

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VL 308
hey i have a vl with a 308 in it, i wanted to start to work on the motor, atm its stock with a 750 eldelbrock in it, what would you suggest for me to upgrade next, ?? i dunno much atm iam a newbie, i thinkin the manifold, suggestions please thank you
newbie dumbass

H

HSV1992

Firstly, isn't a 750 cfm edelbrock a little too big for a stock 308 (that's if it is stock?), you may need to go back to the Rochester 650.
I would start with a decent exhaust and filter, if it doesn't already. Then get a Harrop or a Torque Power dual plane intake manifold and a larger profile camshaft (like a Crane 276). This will give you alot more power and torque in the midrange rpm.
But would recommend a set a 3.7 or 3.9:1 gear ratios if auto or 3.45:1 for a manual at this point.

bensta

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VL 308
HSV1992 said:
Then get a Harrop or a Torque Power dual plane intake manifold and a larger profile camshaft (like a Crane 276). .
yeah its a biggy huh, lol would the carby be allright if i had it on this manifold ?
better than the 650 ?
thanks
and it is running fine, with the 750 edebrock in it, what the dramas of it being so big, ? :D:D

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Getting the right sized carb for your engine will give you a heap more drivability (sp?) than something that is way too big because you will find a lack of vaccumme if it is too big. A properly sorted quaddy is an excellent match to the 304. Beyond that, check the cam - they can wear very quickly in holden v8's. Start with a mild cam, tuned quadrajet, extractors & exhaust - you will be suprised how much better it will go.

Reaper

bensta said:
yeah its a biggy huh, lol would the carby be allright if i had it on this manifold ?
better than the 650 ?
thanks
and it is running fine, with the 750 edebrock in it, what the dramas of it being so big, ? :D:D

Majesticknights

The Dark Prince
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL HDT Calais Wagon Brock 346 stroker
id put a 600 holley on it 750 is way to big man i used to work on super rods and they had worked 350s in em and only run 750 holleys.

as for the cam a nice TQ30 will give it nice lump if thats what ur after

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
firstly welcome to the club. good to see another vl v8 here. itd be a 304 right? all the same parts as a 308 really so nevermind me being so picky lol

im at the same point, although have done the extractors (c*nt of a job) zorst, and always had a tuned quaddy. yet to do teh cam as i think the whole thing will fall out pretty soon. few death rattles and i refuse to rebuild it on the basis of putting an injected beast in its place.

Majesticknights

The Dark Prince
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL HDT Calais Wagon Brock 346 stroker
quadra jets were a great carbie if u could get em tuned right, the beautie of the holley is easy to work with and less things to go wrong. u can hold every part of a holley in one hand!

bensta

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VL 308
eh well i will leave the 750 on for now, to much hassle getting it changed, will leave it for later, i got the 750 for free and i needed a carby cause mine was ****ed, so i just got it put on, i guess i will be getting a new cam then, thanks for your help guys. but then someday i feel like getting ride of it and buying a newer model commodore,