Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[308] valve springs help

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
I don't know why they call it the 286, never understood that :p

nah me either, it is called something different aswell. meh. 234 duration is at 50. not advertised. 290 or something is about right. cbf looking.

so yeah, beehives, they need to have the seats machined?

edit* blah, im bored. looked it up. was called the cch286A now called the H286, both of which make no sense. duration at 50 IS 230, i was wrong. sorry.

edit edit* ah i see, the h stands for holden! lol

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Going to have to assume those guys don't messure advertised duration at the same spot as the other companies because they all seem to be just crazy specs compared to normal. That's going to need really stiff springs even just to get to 6000 rpm. But even if it's close to 280 I think you will want to go the beehive way. I know you want to anyway :). If you are going to have adjustable rockers on it you can set up the lifters to have no preload or really little, that will help

kelford measure there advertised duration @ .006" lift, see here for cam card, although the IVC figure is wrong, should be 40 instead of 48

looks like the beehive 26918 are the only option. with the .600" lift it also allows me room to shim em up for more load should i need it.

Well 1.7 is around what the factory setup is (with a bit of variation) but the .050 locks make them taller you see, you don't need to change anything, the advertised duration on the 286 is 296? 290 something, I don't know why they call it the 286, never understood that :p

last time i looked the crane 286 was 294 advertised and 230 @ .050"

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
edit: But now that I see your advertised duration is 280 I dont think that's enough spring, Imean it'll work, just a matter of how much power it'll cost you over 6000 rpm when things start moving around a bit. Do you have the .050 valve timing and lift on the lobes. I'll see what the spring calculator on EA says about this

hey mate, you got a link to that calculator. looks like i'm getting some beehive springs this week :)