Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 Hard to steer

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I just wanna hug and kiss all of you legends! for the support you have provided.

Let start out by saying " im guilty" lol i had a second hand power steering pump that i bought years ago as a spare and just found out it was shot!

After having dinner with the family i thought to myself " what the hell is going on??? then an angel shot an arrow to my brain and i thought hmm let me swap the ps pump with the another car i have! and BOOM! it worked like a stripper on a bucks night! thanks again for all the support and ideas guys! Now to the next project which is going to be soon!

Just before wrapping this up
I have a " service vehicle soon " and when i try to reset it it says " No item to reset " tried looking up and all the threads about vz and svs etc.. my car is ve
Try replace the oil pressure sensor. They are cheap enough.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
vc Thanks for the ideas mate much appreciated

if you read my post correctly it says "
Im sorry mate, tyre pressure is around the 33PSI mark all wheels according to my old guage

and when i realised it dodgey i pumped the tyres even more.

Pressure is one part of it...Tyre condition and age also comes into play.....

Another thing re-reading what you have done...You made comment about the bearings coming out of the strut top...Did you replace the top with a new one, or just put them back into place?

If you put them back into place, throw it away and get a new one....That eliminates that being the cause

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hydraulic pressure in power steering systems is huge and will overcome all but the worst mechanical failures.

I post this as a cautionary tale....

Recent a friend was having issues with leaking power steering fittings on the PS rack head. It had been apart multiple times replacing O rings, looking for damage etc when the decision was made to replace the factory lines with aftermarket ones utilizing AN fittings (you know where this is going right?). So anyway everything was assembled, filled with fluid and bled but when he tried to turn the steering wheel nothing happened. The checked for leaks etc and tried it again turning the steering further and further until they heard a "bang" at which point the engine was shut down and they checked under the car where they found a large puddle of PS fluid.

They put the car up on the lift again to have a look underneath when they discovered the the whole head casting of the power steering rack had come away from the body. It had snapped off the 2 cap screws that hold the casting onto the rack. The cause? He had mixed up the feed and return lines on the rack because they were both -6an fittings!

Never under estimate the power of hydraulic systems!

Fortunately the repair was simple, 2 new bolts, no damage to the threads in the rack itself.

Mon-aro

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8Z, VF Wagon, VF ute, VE S1, S2
Hydraulic pressure in power steering systems is huge and will overcome all but the worst mechanical failures.

I post this as a cautionary tale....

Recent a friend was having issues with leaking power steering fittings on the PS rack head. It had been apart multiple times replacing O rings, looking for damage etc when the decision was made to replace the factory lines with aftermarket ones utilizing AN fittings (you know where this is going right?). So anyway everything was assembled, filled with fluid and bled but when he tried to turn the steering wheel nothing happened. The checked for leaks etc and tried it again turning the steering further and further until they heard a "bang" at which point the engine was shut down and they checked under the car where they found a large puddle of PS fluid.

They put the car up on the lift again to have a look underneath when they discovered the the whole head casting of the power steering rack had come away from the body. It had snapped off the 2 cap screws that hold the casting onto the rack. The cause? He had mixed up the feed and return lines on the rack because they were both -6an fittings!

Never under estimate the power of hydraulic systems!

Fortunately the repair was simple, 2 new bolts, no damage to the threads in the rack itself.
thankfully my delimma sorted now