Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vl electrical issue

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
Hey Jc,

I've noticed on my vl I have a few possible electrical issues which are;

- everytime I turn the car off and on, the clock resets itself.
- my horn doesn't work unless the key is in the ignition and in the on position.
- my interior light won't light up when you open a door unless a key in the ignition and in the on position then it will light up when a door is opened.

Would anyone know why this is happening and where I can start to start checking things?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
clock needs battery power to keep time id say its prob fuse for that one and that may help the others also if there on the same circuit

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
clock needs battery power to keep time id say its prob fuse for that one and that may help the others also if there on the same circuit
I've checked all fuses, even the fuse for the clock and its not blown or anything

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the clock has its own power into the dash maby the plug connection to circuit board has cracked for that one its quite common

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
the clock has its own power into the dash maby the plug connection to circuit board has cracked for that one its quite common
If that plug was cracked and the clock wasn't getting power, wouldn't that mean the clock wouldn't work at all?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the power just keeps its time, the ignition lights it up

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hey Jc,

I've noticed on my vl I have a few possible electrical issues which are;

- everytime I turn the car off and on, the clock resets itself.
- my horn doesn't work unless the key is in the ignition and in the on position.
- my interior light won't light up when you open a door unless a key in the ignition and in the on position then it will light up when a door is opened.

Would anyone know why this is happening and where I can start to start checking things?
It sounds like someone has been doing some wiring?

The clock & horn are usually wired to battery (they will always work then). If wired to ignition, will only work if the key is turned to on, or the motor is running. Same applies to the light.

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
It sounds like someone has been doing some wiring?

The clock & horn are usually wired to battery (they will always work then). If wired to ignition, will only work if the key is turned to on, or the motor is running. Same applies to the light.
Whats the best way to check if there connected to the battery? Or some tests I can do?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Whats the best way to check if there connected to the battery? Or some tests I can do?
Have you just bought the car?
Check the fuse panel. Some fuses are wired to battery side of the fuse block & some are wired to ignition side of the fuse block.
Start at the fuse panel. Identify the wires for horn, interior lights & clock, & where they go on the fuse block.
One section of fuse block will be ignition, & another part will be battery.