Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Want help with VL 1987 Wagon repairs to body/bumper etc

Mumma Dale

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore 1987 Wagon Executive
Hi there, my husband has recently passed away, and now I am the owner of a VL 1987 Executive wagon. It needs a bit of work done on it, and I don't know where to start. The bumpers need replacing.( Do I go to a wrecker ?) There is surface rust on roof, and spots of rust around the car. I am getting the local mechanic to check it out. Do I just go on E bay for anything needed? Also the rubber around the rear window needs attention...does the panel beater do that, as well as the rust work. Also the petrol gauge seems to not give an accurate reading. (can the mechanic do that, or is it a big job?)
Is there anything else I need to brush up on... It has done about 450,000 k and we are the second owners. It hasn't had any accidents or dings, but has lived outside for some years. (past 5 years in door-less farm shed..)
The family want to get it restored. None of us are car savvy either. Any advice would be appreciated.

18vDrill_SkinOnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SV6 Comm / 22 Ford Mustang 5.0l
Hi, I'm sorry for your loss.. it's good to see you're getting on with a bit of car resto as a means to working through things.

I haven't done a tonne of restorations, but my usual list is to start with making sure it is mechanically sound before putting another cent into it. My logic being that if it's gonna be a tonne of cash to get it to baseline you have to think about whether its really worth doing as a project.

If it's good mechanically, and the body is still pretty good, then make sure the safety stuff is up to speed, e.g. tyres, brakes, suspension etc. After that, the priorities can be massaged around to suit your own needs/wants.

My advice would be to take it to a mechanic first and have him give it a bit of a shake down and a service if it's been a while - he can take a look at the fuel gauge as well. It doesn't sound like a big deal, might just need a new float, filter or something.

There are plenty of places you can source parts for VLs, eBay is one of them, but be careful as some of it is cheap Chinese tomfoolery and it may not fit like a genuine part... or it might just fail after a few weeks.

For sure you can get stuff from the wreckers, just depends on what condition you want it in. Some of the other guys might be able to chime in with other suggestions. Prices for a lot of parts are retarded these days just so you know.

To get a lot of the stuff, you might find Rare Spares handy - there's one near-ish to me which I've used for some other bits and pieces, they ship Aus wide too https://www.speedspares.net/?rf=kw&kw=VL

As for the rear rubber seal for the winder, just ask him, he might do it... at worst he'll probably point you to someone who will do it.

Mumma Dale

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thank you so much for replying...and so soon.
I have the car booked in, and the mechanic is going to checked it out. I am leaving it with him for a few days, as it is only himself and his son that are working. Then they don't have to rush around and get everything done quickly.
I have seen some bumpers on Gumtree, but I am not sure whether a sedan and a wagon share the same type of bumper??? I don't think they would.
And I have heard of Rare Spares, funny enough.. just been getting familiar with a few of the sights too.
Once again, thank you for bothering to help a beginner...ha ha .

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
My friends first car was a very cheap 2 year old VL wagon ex Taxi with over 500,000 kms on it. We drove it hard until something internal broke around 600,000 kms and engine seized.
Ended up swapping with a low km engine and trans and had another few years enjoyment until traded in.

Frequent oil changes was the key to keeping these engines running. I ended up getting a VL turbo a few years later and wish I still had it now.

I would recommend cam belt and water pump replaced if last done date is unknown.

18vDrill_SkinOnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SV6 Comm / 22 Ford Mustang 5.0l
Thank you so much for replying...and so soon.
I have the car booked in, and the mechanic is going to checked it out. I am leaving it with him for a few days, as it is only himself and his son that are working. Then they don't have to rush around and get everything done quickly.
I have seen some bumpers on Gumtree, but I am not sure whether a sedan and a wagon share the same type of bumper??? I don't think they would.
And I have heard of Rare Spares, funny enough.. just been getting familiar with a few of the sights too.
Once again, thank you for bothering to help a beginner...ha ha .

very welcome!

I don't think the sedan and wagon rear bumpers are the same, but the front end should be. I'm not 100% sure but I think VK and VL have some interchangeable bumpers/bumper parts too. It's been ages since I got rid of my VL but I really loved that car, will always have a soft spot for them.

On Gumtree.. there are some real dreamers on it when it comes to pricing their abused second hand parts. There is one bloke selling a VL sedan rear bumper for 1,000. That's at least 500 too much imo. There's a long running thread on this forum somewhere where they find absurdly priced things people are selling on Gumtree etc.

Mumma Dale

Reaction score
Members Ride
very welcome!

I don't think the sedan and wagon rear bumpers are the same, but the front end should be. I'm not 100% sure but I think VK and VL have some interchangeable bumpers/bumper parts too. It's been ages since I got rid of my VL but I really loved that car, will always have a soft spot for them.

On Gumtree.. there are some real dreamers on it when it comes to pricing their abused second hand parts. There is one bloke selling a VL sedan rear bumper for 1,000. That's at least 500 too much imo. There's a long running thread on this forum somewhere where they find absurdly priced things people are selling on Gumtree etc.
Thanks for the info..it is good to know who is ripping people off. I remember my husband got a front bumper piece for about $10, in excellent condition too. (about 3 years ago). He bumped into an old fella on the street( the old fella was having a chat and checking the VL out) The car has been a bit of a talking piece over the years...ha ha. I used to think, ah just men's stuff, but now I am talking cars:)

Mumma Dale

Reaction score
Members Ride
My friends first car was a very cheap 2 year old VL wagon ex Taxi with over 500,000 kms on it. We drove it hard until something internal broke around 600,000 kms and engine seized.
Ended up swapping with a low km engine and trans and had another few years enjoyment until traded in.

Frequent oil changes was the key to keeping these engines running. I ended up getting a VL turbo a few years later and wish I still had it now.

I would recommend cam belt and water pump replaced if last done date is unknown.
Thank you for getting back. My husband always did frequent oil changes. He put in some quite expensive oil, a couple of times. I wish I knew what it was. He couldn't always get it either. And when he put it in, he would have to drive the car for an hour or so. I will find out in a couple of weeks, what state the car is in. I will tell him about the cam belt( is that called a timing belt?)and water pump too. We have had it for 14 years, and it feels like part of the family, ha ha!!:)

Reactions: Lex

Mumma Dale

Reaction score
Members Ride
very welcome!

Well I have just received the synopsis for my poor old VL Wagon...at least $2,000 for mechanicals and maybe $1,500 for rust in rear window and front windscreen.
So, I think I am defeated here, as I do not think I have the energy to get her fixed up( even though my late husband would have liked me to fix her up)
So, if anyone out there wants to buy The Very Lovely...make me an offer..it is registered until Dec 22.
Be quick...this offer won't last long...hee hee!