Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1991 laser GL erratic starting issues?

P plater

the immortal misguided one
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Ford Falcon Futura wagon/ 1994 VR Exec wagon
Hi all I'm having a problem with my laser it is the 1.6 carby fed motor on petrol /gas auto transmission a/c and power steering the issue is that a lot of the time it will act like it has a flat battery and then clicks but then if left alone for a while it will start and run perfectly fine, my idea was a bad earth connection but would like any other ideas for this issue

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
once had a similar problem with one of my cars. the engine had been rebuilt and once it heated up things would tighten so your wouldn't have enough power to turn it over until it cooled down again. Or you have a bad battery or electrical connection. Get out your multimeter and check.

Co-Pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais Supercharged
I had a laser with eratic starting - it would crank but not start sometimes, turned out to be the little pickup unit in the distributer it took the place of the old points system and its about the size of a matchbox. I replaced it and all was right in the world again.
Also if yours is Automatic transmission there is a neutral start (saftey) switch on the auto. trans. usualy sits on the gear select shaft going into the trans. It stops engine cranking and starting in any gear, only if park or neutral is selected will it allow a start. It can become lose, out of adjustment or dirty inside or unpluged. Turn your ignition on but don't start engine, then place gear selection in Reverse, then check if your reverse lights have come on at the rear of the vehicle. If not on your neutral start switch is out of adjustment or dirty, or coming unpluged etc. Try wiggling the gear shift selection in the car as you try to start it in park or neutral, if it starts near a drive gear selection this will also indicate a neutral switch is out of adjustment or dirty, or coming unpluged etc. WARNING! Make sure that the vehicle will not start in any position except park or neutral if you make any attemp to adjust the neutral switch. Good luck!

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
Ha I got a kf 1.8S It's the starter motor brushes. Happened to mine, I drove it like that for months until I got the shits and put a new one in.

I was dead certain it was battery but it was fully charged.

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Is this now forums.Justfords.com.au ?