Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2.5' exhaust sounding raspy at around 3000rpm

hoofelmuma

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive V6 3.8L
hey all

just got pacemakers, hi flow cat and 2.5' catback with resi put on my VY V6 and at about 3000rpm(while driving) i get a VERY raspy sound. i was wondering if i can fix this problem by swapping back to stock cats, getting a diff muffler or continue modding the car. its only slightly modded with MACES CAI, 12mm plenum spacer, 25mm manifold spacer and bored out throttle body. i do have 1.9.1 rockers that will b going on in the next couple of days, will the rockers change the note or am i just stuck with this raspyness

cheers

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Try fit the rockers first and see how it sounds, I'm not too sure if it will change or not from rockers alone.

You could probably get a hotdog off ebay for around $40 and get the exhaust shop to weld it before the tip for another $20, they are good at reducing unwanted noise and keeping the same note.

Did you keep the stock cat/s? Couldnt hurt to change them back and have a listen if the one/s on there now are bolted, it only took me about 20 mins to take mine out and fit a "test pipe".

karlos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S S/C & BA XR6T
how old is the system?

hoofelmuma

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive V6 3.8L
the system is about a week old, ill try the rockers and if nothing i look in to a hotdog. with a hotdog will that mean i have basically 2 mufflers? this is the first time ive heard the phrase hotdog.

no i didnt keep the stock cats lol when the exhaust place asked me if i wanted to keep my old exhaust system the first thing that went thro my head is how will i get this home lol so i let them deal with it

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
A hotdog is a bullet shaped resonator, it is called a hotdog because it looks like a hotdog.

So you have extractors - cats - pipework - then just a rear resonator? Fit the hotdog in front of the diff where the front muffler would normally be. The longer the hotdog you can get in there, the more raspiness it will take out.

hoofelmuma

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive V6 3.8L
ive got extractors-cat-muffler(soz 4 got to mention it)-pipework but just b4 the tip theres a hotdog i think or is that sumthing els

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
thread dig, i have this same problem...

I have extractors high flow single cat and ebay lukey 2.5 cat back with two straight through mufflers.
I get a real rasp at 3k, any help out there?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The hi flow cat will be the culprit. No benefit on a 6, just noise.