Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2001 vx commodore stalling

LTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore 2001
Hey guys,

My vx commodore starts, runs and drive how ever it randomly stalls and is rough on start up. Does anyone have an idea on why this could be happening?

Cheers!

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
Got anything else to go on? When you say "randomly", is there anything that seems to frequently occur at the same time? Like does it tend to happen times when you've been driving for longer than 20 minutes, or the same days you happened to also put petrol in... that sort of thing.
Have you checked for fault codes?

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
I don't know what they're called, but there's a little tiny tube that connects to the back of the plenum and then to something you need tiny little monkey fingers to reach and it is the bane of my existence because mine periodically comes off at one end and it makes my car run like sh1t, occasionally stall and takes longer to start. Could be that. Or I could just be venting because the bastard thing came off again yesterday and I haven't had the patience yet to reconnect it.
Seriously, you could have 15 people answer this question for you and get 16 different answers. You need to throw us another clue.

Reactions: Lex

LTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore 2001
Got anything else to go on? When you say "randomly", is there anything that seems to frequently occur at the same time? Like does it tend to happen times when you've been driving for longer than 20 minutes, or the same days you happened to also put petrol in... that sort of thing.
Have you checked for fault codes?
I can’t say anything else occurs other than it kind of gives warning signs that it’s about to stall, you can feel it trying to stall, then after say about 25 mins of driving it’ll stall. Also once been running for a while it will cut out too.

ILLaViTaR

Reaction score
Throttle body in mine was caked with oil. Possibly the intake manifold gasket? If it's failed coolant can leak into the system

Other things like MAF/coil packs/leads/plugs/crank angle sensor perhaps. I can't remember exactly what ones would cause a stall though. If it's a vacuum leak it'll be idling high also. Rough on startup could be leaky injectors or coolant in the system