Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2003 Vy suspension help please :)

Mr7846

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Commodore
Hi,
I have a vy wagon that just had most of the bushes and suspension in the front end replaced in the past 3 months.
Along with other works, the struts were replaced with Monroes (yes, I know they are not fab but it's thats all that any of the local retailers had in stock when the car was in pieces and the old one found to be defective) when the strut mounts and bearings were replaced. Prior to their replacement the car was generating a rubber grinding/groaning noise over bumps and on both low speed turning and braking.
2000ks later the grinding noise is back in the same situation/environment, and despite giving the new suspension ample (in my opinion) "settling in" time, it is still bouncy all over the road, the drivers wheel feels like it skips on mid speed sharp cornering and the ride is extremely hard over low speed bumps. I've now had it three different places to be told that everything looks good.
So, I need ideas for alternate causes of the issues - the only possible abnormality that I can find on visual/tactile inspection of the install, assembled strut/spring is that there feels to be an upwards concaved piece of metal sitting above the strut mount - its resting atop the upper spring plate and feeds back to the body of the car. I can't find it in any diagrams so I'm assuming that it's part of the car body shaped to recess around the rubber mount? Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks in advance for any replies!

Last edited:

Greasy Hands

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
YV II Acclaim, non daily.
Coincidently, i just replaced everything steering/suspension on my 2003 vy too -
Inadvertently, I purchased polyurethane bushings for the control arms and genuine balljoints. I didn't know this till they arrived. - this may of made an enormous difference in it self if you did the same.

I am not a fan of rock hard/feel everything suspension but it now feels like a honda civic with virtually no body roll instead of a sea going vessel, I will get used to it.
Tie rod ends and sway bar links were "heavy duty" with balljoints at both ends. Shocks are kyb and its standard height. Everything especially all 4 shocks were totally rooted beyond belief.

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming that it's part of the car body shaped to recess around the rubber mount?
Yes it is.

Bouncing over the road is not good. Do you have lowered springs? What type of monroe shocks did you have installed? Perhaps the spring rate is too high for the shocks.

Bushes tend to squeak not grind but the swaybar D bushes are a common culprit for this. Lube them and see what happens.

Groaning and skipping over road im thinking of steering rack or worn tie rod ends or ball joints. Had the wheel alignment checked?

After 3 separate visits and no joy though maybe you need to take them for a spin and point it out. One other thing, if you did all this work to the front and didnt touch the rear chances are it will feel different than before ie. unbalanced from what you are used to.