Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2009 model Calais.

BR33ZE

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 MY12.5 series 2 sports wagon
hey peeps

Looking at purchasing a 2009 Calais with 125000 on the clock. Any tips on what I should be looking out for in terms of issues? It’s in good condition so for $10500 I’m not complaining.

I had a ve and it was a great car- never any rust apparently due to rust gal coating on paint. Does the 2009 have the same coating?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Rust hidden behind the booster firewall insulation.

Look inside the oil filler cap for evidence of sludge indicating a poorly maintained engine.

Paper towel over the oil filler cap (removed) with the engine running. You don’t want to see it be sucked down onto the valve cover. Indicates poor PCV.

Oil around the front cover of the engine. Especially on the drivers side lower area.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh, does it smell musty or wet inside. Indicates water leaks into the cabin.

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
hey peeps

Looking at purchasing a 2009 Calais with 125000 on the clock. Any tips on what I should be looking out for in terms of issues? It’s in good condition so for $10500 I’m not complaining.

I had a ve and it was a great car- never any rust apparently due to rust gal coating on paint. Does the 2009 have the same coating?
sidi motor??

Parents have a early series 2 with sidi engine currently at 99000 full holden service history(every 15k) and it chews through coils and plugs evrey couple of years. Plus 2 02 sensors.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
sidi motor??

Parents have an early series 2 with sidi engine currently at 99000 full holden service history(every 15k) and it chews through coils and plugs evrey couple of years. Plus 2 02 sensors.
That would indicate a problem with the plugs and their quality, the coils and their quality, or there is electrical problems that lay outside of the engine. Also what is the exact reason for replacing o2’s. Based on just a code? In fact what is leading to the diagnosis that those other components required changing?

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
That would indicate a problem with the plugs and their quality, the coils and their quality, or there is electrical problems that lay outside of the engine. Also what is the exact reason for replacing o2’s. Based on just a code? In fact what is leading to the diagnosis that those other components required changing?
holden dealer, all genuine parts used, first few sets under warranty

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Point being, did the dealer explore why it was happening? Or why were they being replaced. Those sorts of things are not indicative of poor engine design but instead an electrical anomaly or a maintenance issue missed.

Reactions: Lex

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Point being, did the dealer explore why it was happening? Or why were they being replaced. Those sorts of things are not indicative of poor engine design but instead an electrical anomaly or a maintenance issue missed.
somethings not right(holden dealers always been heplful picking car up etc), parents are in 70's and hardly drive now so time to sell it off.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
hey peeps

Assuming it's a V6, check to make sure it isn't rattling on start up or anything, as these are known to have issues with the chains... Also, is it a 5 or 6 speed auto? If it's a 5 speed, they're known to be pretty unreliable and I'd try to steer clear from them... If it's a 6 speed, they're more reliable and would be my pick... Make sure it shifts smoothly... Both are expensive to rebuild but the 5 speed parts can be difficult to source, and less people know how to rebuild them...

For a general used car checklist: https://redriven.com/blog/ultimate-used-car-buyers-guide/