Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2012 VE SSV Redline start issue

Capn-JollyRoger

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SSV Redline Wagon
Hey Team ✌️
Brand new member and first post.

Last week, I tried to start my 2012 VE SSV Redline wagon - it turned over but no start. Had the car picked up and delivered to mechanics. Code was P069E, mechanics replaced fuel pump. Picked car up yesterday and fired it up, didn’t sound strong but fired after half a second, I didn’t think THAT much of it considering it had just been repaired.

Wife borrowed it last night, said that it sputtered when starting but then fired up. I fired it up this morning (been sitting 12 hrs) and same sputtering, then fired up. I took it for a 60km drive, filled up with BP98. Turned it off once or twice and started ok. It’s been in driveway for an hour or so, tried it again, little bit of a sputter but then fired up. It’s perfectly fine when it’s driving, no issues at all! I’ve owned the car 2 years and have always run 98, no issues with car at all. 68k kms and unmodified, regular service.

I’ve read that people experienced the same issue and changed over to RON95 and solved issues?

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I run 98 on my cars and have done so for over 20 years. I have never had an issue.

Capn-JollyRoger

Reaction score
Members Ride
I run 98 on my cars and have done so for over 20 years. I have never had an issue.
Thanks Keith. I too have always used 98, use it in our Y62 and used to run my Jeep and 2008 SSV Ute without issue.

I don’t know why it’s suddenly a bit rough, but haven’t seen any other reason as to why it’s doing it?!

Capn-JollyRoger

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey Team ✌
Brand new member and first post.

Last week, I tried to start my 2012 VE SSV Redline wagon - it turned over but no start. Had the car picked up and delivered to mechanics. Code was P069E, mechanics replaced fuel pump. Picked car up yesterday and fired it up, didn’t sound strong but fired after half a second, I didn’t think THAT much of it considering it had just been repaired.

Wife borrowed it last night, said that it sputtered when starting but then fired up. I fired it up this morning (been sitting 12 hrs) and same sputtering, then fired up. I took it for a 60km drive, filled up with BP98. Turned it off once or twice and started ok. It’s been in driveway for an hour or so, tried it again, little bit of a sputter but then fired up. It’s perfectly fine when it’s driving, no issues at all! I’ve owned the car 2 years and have always run 98, no issues with car at all. 68k kms and unmodified, regular service.

I’ve read that people experienced the same issue and changed over to RON95 and solved issues?
Hey Gang!

So, on our 3rd fuel pump now! Still has trouble starting the first time, second time a dream and drives perfect. Mechanic had the fuel pump out, bench tested over the weekend, fitted to car and started perfect.

didn’t start today, coughed and spluttered, then fired. I shut it down and restarted without issue.

Back with mechanics - keen to hear anyone’s thoughts?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Leaking injector(s) ?

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I've had bad starts over the years on 98, though its been fine for the last year or two. There was no doubt 98 had something to do with my starting issues. I've never had problems with 95 or E85. In fact when ethanol was added to the 98, the problem was solved each time. I'd put some E85 in and see how that goes to rule out sensor confusion (though it won't rule out complete sensor malfunction if you still get bad starts). I assume your flex fuel?

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I'll also assume your mechanic has been replacing the pump each time with an E85 OEM pump. Don't try the above if your in any doubt.