Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2013 vf ssv

13SSVF

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SSV m6 Sedan
That looks stunning. Well done. I don't know why this colour is not more popular. I love it!
A couple of questions:
What is the approx cost of the Bendix Ultimate SRT pads and scs the T3 Clubspec rotors?

I've never used a clay bar, why would you use it on a new paintjob? Is it just to remove fine scratches or will it actually improve on the factory finish?

BTW Redline sway bars are 26mm Front, 28mm rear.

Cheers mate love your mods!

Hey cued cheers for the comments mate. Yeh the set pads cost me 250 from a shop in Smithfield itfor all 4. Was 780 for all 4 t3 disc from Vic performance. The brembo calipers were a kit without discs for 700 from Thompson holden Victoria . The front rotors are 355 mm to suite brembos so were abit dearer. Bled the brakes with a better quality dot 4 fluid.

The clay bar was used as before I picked car up it was in their yard outside for 10 days and I'm insanely anal about a car outside lol. It basically takes all impurities down to the clear coat of the paint, without affecting the clear coat and Does not scratch your car. It's amazing. It even takes old wax off. It's a four step process. Wash clay wash wax. Polish can be done in the step before wax.

I've never driven a redline with its sway bars but I was assured it would be better than the ssv redlines sway bar setup, if not on at least the same level. I can telll you, they made a difference compared to my standard ssv sway bars lol I recommend white line to anyone

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Well there's only one source for rear sway being 28mm on the redline, and that seems improbable if not impossible given it is an exponential increase in stiffness offered over SSV.
It's why I asked, OP got the largest aftermarket which I believe is bigger than redline too at 21mm, sorta backs up my theory that the redline rear bar is not 10mm bigger (like twice the size) than the race honed SSV equivalent.
Personally the 28mm rear bar assumption needs further corroboration.

13SSVF

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SSV m6 Sedan
Well there's only one source for rear sway being 28mm on the redline, and that seems improbable if not impossible given it is an exponential increase in stiffness offered over SSV.
It's why I asked, OP got the largest aftermarket which I believe is bigger than redline too at 21mm, sorta backs up my theory that the redline rear bar is not 10mm bigger (like twice the size) than the race honed SSV equivalent.
Personally the 28mm rear bar assumption needs further corroboration.

I'd love to make comment on the redline but cannot. I personally can confirm even with white lines words that their front setup is just as good but they reckon their rear is better so I'm only guessing that it's a tad bigger but like I said, I don't know

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I've given mine the eyeball caliber test and I reckon the 26mmF and 28mmR are on the money. It's peeing down now and I've got better things to be doing with the wife :smoking:(Hehe). So bugger this debate for now, I'll get out the vernier tomoz PM.

Either way bro I'm sure your tweaked SSV handles as good as it looks...Senstational

Cheers

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Weeell I blew that, sorry stuffed that up...kept too long waiting apparently :computer: Lol. Consecutive 4a.m starts will do that to you :tease: So what else to do? Well I checked the dia with a steel ruler didn't I, (too far to the shed for the verniers). Can confirm front 26.5(ish)mm including paint, rear 28.5(ish)mm ditto re paint. Happy to upload some pic's with calipers if you're interested. Not that y'all don't trust a bloke of course.

So I dunno if the whole size doesn't matter rule (sic, lie?) applies to stabilisers? I suspect once you get above a certain ratio / diameter / return rate, that the law of diminishing returns kicks in? Sometime going bigger delivers negative returns (cams are a good example) but in suspension I reckon it's all about a balanced tune. Either way I can vouch that the Redline is a true handler, and I can't wait for a blat around Winton or Wakefield.

In terms of the benefits of the big bars, I can only compare it to a VF SV6, and a VF SS Man, as I've not driven a SSV. They're very good for a large car, but there's BIIIGGG step up to the Redline. And a little harsher ride too. But this conservative little black duck wouldn't touch the suspension as it's a gem the way it is. The L77, now that's another story altogether:mods:

Spinnin' wheels

13SSVF

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SSV m6 Sedan
its good to know that the redline is 28mm, makes me wonder though why after market gear would not follow the same path, as the set i purchased was almost an upgrade in thier eyes to the redline, but then again, who knows lol. all i know is that the whitelines are 3 point adjustable. and im 100 percent thier 22mm. but im very interested into why they made thier version smaller. i shall ask them the question. cheers

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
its good to know that the redline is 28mm, makes me wonder though why after market gear would not follow the same path, as the set i purchased was almost an upgrade in thier eyes to the redline, but then again, who knows lol. all i know is that the whitelines are 3 point adjustable. and im 100 percent thier 22mm. but im very interested into why they made thier version smaller. i shall ask them the question. cheers

Size Doesn't Matter
As I understand it a sway bar should be matched to your springs. If you are planning to upgrade to stiff springs, then you probably wont need to increase the sway bar diameter since the added spring rate will handle body roll. For example my Sportwagon has FE2 Stiff springs which are Heavy Duty at the rear, with only a 14mm sway.
A larger diameter bar is required only if you have softer springs. Many people prefer a softer ride, but want to limit body roll and opt for softer springs.

Stiff springs, small sway bars.
Soft springs, large sway bars.

Understeer: Increase rear sway bar diameter or decrease front sway bar diameter to restore balance.
Oversteer: Install either a smaller rear bar or a larger front bar, or in a V8 Sportwagon do both!
Both conditions upset the vehicle by changing suspension geometry and can make handling worse.

With all generalities there are tradeoffs. The stiff spring / small bar arrangement is generally better for overall handling because it reduces front to back weight transfer. This is because the spring rate is higher and helps resist the tendency for a car to “dive” in braking, or “squat” during acceleration.

Definitely one of the most common scenarios is really short, stiff springs, large sway... rough handling.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep, good stuff, and fully agree. As I said it's all about balance.
If you were used to driving say a Calais, then you would consider the Redlines FE3 a little on the harsh side. Personally I think it's spot on, and our roads are on the rough side. Conversely whilst I like to soft ride of the Calais, again whilst quite good, to me the handling leaves a little to be desired. Horses for courses. The Goldilocks factor is at play here though as Holden got the FE3 'just right" :clap: