Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

202 motor with 186 head?

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
adox said:
My mate keeps tellin me to fit a 186 head on my blue 202? Why should I do this?
as stated by the other people 149 h/c however 186 has better VE

Q

QIK62C

hasnt the the 2.85 blue head got a smaller combustion chamber but same size valve while still being 12port

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
bangers said:
thats the way. go a v8, better then the old 202's. they're getting a bit long in the tooth. if you get a 253 just throw a 308 crank in it.

The 253 and 308 have the same crank, the 253 uses the pistons from the 186, I think (long time since I had to remember this) : ) where the 308 has a 4 inch bore like alot of the Chev small blocks

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
i could have sworn the only difference was the crank.

lxhatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr calais, mitz triton
you could always use original head and have it shaved

P

portercg

don't go putting a 149 head on a 202. Just don't. Especially with the blue motors. They are superior to the red motor in every way with the exception of red XU1 motors.
There's 3 versions of blue motor

2.85 high compression - 9.0 to 1
3.3 high compression - 8.8 to 1
3.3 low compression - 7.6 to 1 of which there are bugger all

I can't remember exactly, but I think the 2.85 head has a smaller combustion chamber, valves etc are the same so putting a ported 2.85 head on a 3.3 works out.

you could just about get away with 149 heads on an old 186 because it still had a 3 inch stroke crank. The 3.3 has a 3.25 inch stroke and it starts to get way too hard.

Or if rebuilding you can get flat top pistons which are a better way about it, and a lightened flywheel, hotter cam, + less restrictive exhaust pipe from the manifold back. clean up the ports in the head, makes a massive difference.

I have a factory manual on the blue 6 and V8 motors, feel free if yoyu want specs.

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
Oh Man !

YELLA TERRA :w00t:

M

mutant

have ur head machined take a few thou of that will boost ur comp ,but better make sure the bottom end can handle it

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Yes thanks for all your information, I have gave my VH to my younger brother, so oneday he might be askin the "What should i do to my VH" etc.
I have a VN now so straight 6?? pfft. lol, keep postin the info tho as other ppl may be interested.

SlikUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 S2 ute
Holden 6

Forget about shoving V8's into a 6 pak bay and red heads on a blue block. That's reversing technology.

With a little thought, the Holden 6 will crap on a V8 from a great height. Some sensible spending would see you with a stroked 202, 12 port head and an infinite variety of induction (triples or a VK EFI setup) and cam options. You'll suddenly have a very quik 235ci 12 second shooter with so much torque, you'll need a kidney belt and a suppository kit to control yourself. Try that in a V8 for the same money and less hassles !

6's rule.

Slik