Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2nd fuel pump gone in a month (P0231)

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Did the loom fry the pump too or is it just a loom that needs to get changed and the pump is fine?

dunno he's doing both. i figure that's for the best myself considering how much of a mission it is to get it all out.

either way I have requested all parts back so yeah.

Mykl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 Black Edition
dunno he's doing both. i figure that's for the best myself considering how much of a mission it is to get it all out.

either way I have requested all parts back so yeah.
Let me know how the pump looks when you get it back. Curious to know if there's any signs of burn or damage on it

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
turns out it wasn't ready, this arvo hopefully still in bits all over the place.

that said he's had this issue before and showed me another loom - exact same pin/issue.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
its the cycle of the plug has a pin connection issue and the pump wants curtain amps to run so the pin with more resistance heats up and the more that happens the more it heats up because the pump cant get its amps to run and so forth, the pump sees lower voltage which is why it demands more amps to run so its like a runaway affect until the pin heats up enough to melt and loose the connection or it tins black because of the poor connection until it has such high resistance it no longer contacts,
the pumps fail because they are run under such low voltage with higher amps and they heat up and prob cease or are hard to operate, if the pump failed it would pop the fuse but its the poor connection that allows it to keep going as its added resistance within the circuit so the fuse wont pop as the load is taken off the fuse and put in the pin connection, so if anyone can get to the plug best to unplug it and check for signs of heat or discolored around the pin and spray some inox or something in it to help keep the good connection if not too late

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
its the cycle of the plug has a pin connection issue and the pump wants curtain amps to run so the pin with more resistance heats up and the more that happens the more it heats up because the pump cant get its amps to run and so forth, the pump sees lower voltage which is why it demands more amps to run so its like a runaway affect until the pin heats up enough to melt and loose the connection or it tins black because of the poor connection until it has such high resistance it no longer contacts,
the pumps fail because they are run under such low voltage with higher amps and they heat up and prob cease or are hard to operate, if the pump failed it would pop the fuse but its the poor connection that allows it to keep going as its added resistance within the circuit so the fuse wont pop as the load is taken off the fuse and put in the pin connection, so if anyone can get to the plug best to unplug it and check for signs of heat or discolored around the pin and spray some inox or something in it to help keep the good connection if not too late
TLDR; a design fault…

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
so if anyone can get to the plug best to unplug it and check for signs of heat or discolored around the pin and spray some inox or something in it to help keep the good connection if not too late

all well and good, but you know where the bugger is located right?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
i'm at the point where i am happy for a new loom and pump, but if it was to fail again i'd get an access cover made i think. My car IS nearly 10yo at this point so it's done ok.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i made up my own access covers with some 10mm alloy i got cut out for the mount and then the 2mm top cover cut out, then i just drilled holes and riveted it to the body and threaded it for the lid to bolt down

FS1000-module.jpg