Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[308] 308 Stroker vs 308 Supercharged

FLOGGED

Reaction score
Members Ride
WB One Tonner
Hey guys, just brought a 308 and looking to get some power out of it, currently has mild cam, extractors, edelbrock performer intake & most of it has been fully reconditioned.

i'm wanting the easiest way (not always the cheapest) to get 400 HP @ the wheels. (No NOS :dance: )

now, would slapping a supercharger on be the go, or stroking it? seen some nice 400hp strokers, but not so much superchargers.

i know the engine might need a few more upgrades to make the supercharger run better.

was thinking of some: VN EFI Heads, Cam to suit, better manifold.

need some ideas, wanting to build the car for mostly drags but wanting to be a reliable weekend car also.

Cheers

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
400 hp at the wheels would be a pretty grumpy stroker, nothing crazy but definitely not a daily. I make 266rwk with my stroker, was a daily for a few years did 40thousand kms as a daily no dramas, but much more and my 4l60e would be rooted. I stayed 4l60e so could still have the elec lock up stall for daily duties. A 400rwk stroker will have a pretty large stall in it as well. I am looking at going a 288crane cam and new heads, should make around 500hp at the ffly. If you built a motor like my one through a shop wouldnt be much change out of ten k.
I have also looked into going a v7 but running too much compression, so would definetly have to go a cooler and e85. Charger will sound more standard and not as angry, be more streetable and make good power, but a charger kit will be around 4-5k second hand. Or look into going a whipple although they can be pricey. Are you efi or carby?

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
As Dobez said really going to be costly either way, especially to be reliable. But do you want an angry stroker or a lightly less angry blower, blower will be more streetable for sure, also is e85 a possibilty for you too. As it would make your power quest a bit easier, especially if you go the blower option. Could also consider a turbo for what its worth, some quite quick turbo'd 5Ls about currently, stock and stroked.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Turbo it. Great torque, driveability and fuel economy if driven sedately. That way you can have your cake and eat it too.

Can retain your existing diff gears and converter too if they're standard (assuming an auto). It'd work well with the existing heads with a blow through carb. Otherwise if you're wanting more power you can fit Vn heads, a suitable cam and manifold.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
If he's chasing 400hp, VN heads for sure, turbo e85 sounds like a lotta fun.... I'm getting ideas again.