Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[308] 308 won't run properly

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
I need some ideas. My new 308 won't run properly. First of all are the timing mark increments on the timing cover 2 degrees each or just 1? If they're at 2 degrees I have the timing set at 10 degrees advance. Cam timing is at 0 degrees, and have set it up just dot to dot, 7 links between. I put the motor at top dead centre, then moved it to 10 degress advance (if the marks are 2 degrees each), then set the dizzy straight on number 1.

I was using a 750 Holley, but changed back to a 600 off of our race car which is making a little less power then this motor....just incase it was dumping way to much fuel in. But yeah same thing. It cranks and occasionally fires, and if ya lucky it will catch on and if ya give it some revs it will keep going....but won't idle, if ya let the revs drop it will stall and it WON'T start again straight away. Have cleaned the plugs 3 times each coz they're always black as.

Have also just put new fuel in.

I've also played with the timing alot on the dizzy moving it back and forth with results no better.

Altho when it starts and runs it seems to advance the timing a fair bit more, even when the vac advance was off I'm sure.

Any ideas?

Video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apJ9CVZncCg

Last edited:

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
It's done it since the first time it even started...so I don't think it's anything with the cam.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
isnt the chain meant to be nine links? timing marks on a 308 timing cover go to 6, you need to draw your own mark on ten. you do it but putting the tdc mark on +4 and liquid paper a line on -6= 10 degrees.

edit* checked and re-checked your firing order? maybe there is one lead wrong.

edit edit* just looked at the pic of your chain. thats right, its nine links. i guess you meant 7 links between the two dots..

Last edited:

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Yeah leads I've rechecked again and again. I looked at the pic this morning too coz I was thinkin of ripping it all apart to check it just incase, but yeah lucky I remembered last night I took pics of it b4 the cover went on haha.

Gonna change the dizzy and see if that does anything.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
you would think it would have to be spark

but why are the plugs fouling

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
well the engine turns over no clunking so the insides are fine it's had two carbies on it and if it was a fuel pump that is easy to check by looking at the accle pump discharge so not fuel im sure op checked oil pressure so not oil

i can keep going it all points to the ingnition but

BUT i asked wonder why the plugs are fouling could be over fueling

also the cam could be phased wrong

two posibiltys i can think of not igniton related