Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[308] 355 stroker motor.

VL_AERO_88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL CALAIS
Hi Guys,
Looking at stroking my 308 engine to a 355 stroker motor but i know nothing about rebuilds so i am looking for some advice on the rebuild as to what parts to use & if any one can reccomend a good honest & reliable builder on the gold coast ??

I want a nice strong motor that makes 400hp or more, somthing that responds at a click of the fingers, will be used for street racing & cruising also may be supercharged in the near future so bottom end has to be nice n strong....

Here is the parts i have already purchased:

Early Yella Terra Heads & Roller Rockers....

Holley 750 hp series Carb....

Edelbrock Performer Manifold....

MSD Ignition....

JP Timing Gears....

HV Oil Pump....

HV Sump....

HV Fuel pump....

Pacemaker Extractors....

I am in the dark as to what Stroker kit to use, I have been told to stay away from anything Scat, Eagle, Pro Comp or ACL ??

The same bloke told me to buy a COME RACING crank then mix n match with the pistons, rod ect ??

I am hoping to make atleast 400hp or more, Is this possible with the early heads??

Trans is auto....

Any help or info would be much appreciated or if you can reccomend a honest builder....

Cheers

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Before you go wasting any more money, find a decent builder local to you, or, PAY FOR SHIPPING to get what you already have to a reputable builder and throw some cash at them to finish off what you have.

IMO you don't need 400+ HP to cruise and street racing is illegal.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Any more info can be found in one of these
thidH-2.jpg

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
There is nothing wrong with the brands mentioned in the first post. Though pro comp is on the cheaper side. I work.on a vp.304 with come striker kit, ported vn cast iron heads, yella terra roller rockers and hydraulic cam that made 359rwhp through a 2800 stall,t700 full manualised and half shagged 9inch with 3.7 gears.

As for builders, find a.builder that asks what you want outta your engine rather then tells you what youll get or not.get if you know what I mean.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
My mate is building up his engine at the moment, and its almost done according to him.

He stroked his out from 304 to 355 with a Yella Terra top mount charger, and stock heads.

Apparently its predicted to only make around 300-350RWKW which in my opinion is bugger all for the 12k he spent on it.

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
The 355 I described above has receipts for eighteen grand!! Certainly not as cost effective.as the ls.motor that will soon be.replacing.it.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep, i'd believe it..

I can guarantee one thing, it will be the last time you fork out that much coin on an Aussie 5 litre again...

Post up your build on here.. I wouldn't mind seeing it as things unfold Should be good thread.

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
Lol. The 355 is in my brother's Torana, which will be getting an ls1 and six speed soon, then ill be taking the 355 and slotting it into my vk berlina. Once I've got the motor in my car you can be sure she'll be putting out more power than it currently is, and yes ill be putting it up in a build thread.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 in a Torana would be an awesome build.

I was looking at one on Youtube with a single turbo the other night.

The thing was off its head.