Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

355 Stroker pinging

96VS355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
Yeah I do have K-liners in there, just the original valves themselves remain, everything else in the heads are brand new.. roller rockers, heavy duty springs, etc

...So I'm going to have that compression test and I'll also get the injectors flow tested, and I'll get my hands on the air:fuel data from the dyno if available.... and I'll get back to you...

Thanks again for all help and suggestions.. greatly appreciated!!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
thats cool, me bad ,miss understood what you meant by valves. i don't see that as been a problem then. i'd suspect rings then. standard V8's weren't fitted with knock sensors, only HSV models. did you get one fitted? power will drop off as it starts to ping, thats because peak cylinder pressures are occuring before TDC so it is infact slowing the piston down as it's still traveling up the bore

96VS355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
Yeah I added a knock sensor not long after I bought it..

Looks like I'm gonna be getting that compression test done pretty damn soon...

Something funny? I changed the fuel filter yesterday, went and filled up with ultimate in the evening, strapped it all the way home, hard into 2nd, 3rd, 4th, all between 2600 and 5000 or so, no ping. damn car is gonna make a liar out of me again... mind you it was a lot cooler outside than it has been in the day time...

Rings first.. gonna see the engine builder next week, he wants to put some better lifters in as a couple of the *high performance but no longer made in the USA* lifters are noisy... will get him to do comp test too..

Cheers again..

Heavy VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt V6
Maybe check your fuel pressure when it's pinging.
Also check your crank case breather is sufficient.
Check your rotor button and dizzy cap.
The factory coils also play up.

But sounds like it could be a fuel pressure issue. Did they have a fuel pressure gauge on it when they were tuning it?