Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[308] 355 stroker

sam5l

australias driving future
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5L / vn spak buick powered
355 crank to suit holden rods does the block need to be machined to suit the crank? also is there any other block i can use that has been pre clearanced? if not how much is it worth to have my block clearanced? all help appreciated thanks people also i got some acl 30thou 355 pistons 9:5:1 comp do they fit in the bore without machining? the model number is MKRY9570 for the pistons and im gonna use a scat crank with holden rods and recommendations?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
VR onwards blocks are clearanced from the factory. Even the earlier blocks are just a slight touch up to clear. Things don't get that messy till you go to 383ci.

Reaper

sam5l

Reaction score
Members Ride
whats it worth to get a 308 block clearanced for 355?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Couldn't be more than a few $ and quite insignificant in the whole machining process. If you have the crank give it a go yourself as there isn't much metal that needs to be removed.

Reaper

sam5l

Reaction score
Members Ride
Couldn't be more than a few $ and quite insignificant in the whole machining process. If you have the crank give it a go yourself as there isn't much metal that needs to be removed.

Reaper

yeh dont wanna **** **** up ill get it done buy a engine shop and cranks do they have to be balanced or should they be wen u get em?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
You need to balance the whole rotating assembly - crank, rods, pistons etc.

Reaper

sam5l

Reaction score
Members Ride
whats that worth? u know?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
355 crank to suit holden rods does the block need to be machined to suit the crank? also is there any other block i can use that has been pre clearanced? if not how much is it worth to have my block clearanced? all help appreciated thanks people also i got some acl 30thou 355 pistons 9:5:1 comp do they fit in the bore without machining? the model number is MKRY9570 for the pistons and im gonna use a scat crank with holden rods and recommendations?

Yes you will need to get the block clearanced for a 355 crank, regardless of what rods you use (personally, i would have gone Chev rods). As Reaper said, any VR onwards block won't need any clearance work. Not sure on how much an engine shop charges for the clearance work, might pay to ring around or talk to an engine builder.

30 thou pistons are exactly that, 30 thou oversize. So, unless your block is already 30 thou over it will need a bore & hone to fit the pistons. If it's more than 30 thou, you will need different pistons.

yeh dont wanna **** **** up ill get it done buy a engine shop and cranks do they have to be balanced or should they be wen u get em?

Yes, you will have to get the entire rotating assembly balanced. That means, Crank, rods, pistons & pins, big end bearings, rings, harmonic balancer & flexplate/flywheel. It's around the $250-$300 mark for a balance job from memory.

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
Your best bet mate would be to call a machine shop who specializes in engine work; talk to the bloke about what you want to achieve. You'll find most of them are quiet helpful and more then happy for you to come in and take a look and chat for hours.

Last I was quoted, and for use as a rough guide...
Clearance block for 383ci: $220.
Bore and Hone Block +.030: $260.
Deck Block -.010: $100 per side.
Deck heads -.040: $100 per side.
Balance Assembly: $175 + Couldn't give a firm figure.