Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4L60/65 Tap Shift may be possible

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman SS, VZ Pontiac GTO
Hey guys!

Been doing some research tonight for my Crewman project and I've stumbled on something that suggests it may be possible to have Tap Up/Tap Down shifting on an A4 equipped VZ.

If you have a VZ equipped with a T42 TCM, I learned that Pin 10 is designated as the TUTD pin. Same wire for both functions; a 12V current passed through an 8.25KOhm resistor indicates a Tap Down request, and a 12V current passed through a 4.42KOhm resistor indicates a Tap Up request.

Looking at the stock tune file for a 2006 Pontiac GTO, TUTD is Enabled by default with the TUTD type set as Hardwire, meaning the command from the paddles goes directly to the TCM. With the transmission in the D3 position, TUTD is activated. The shift speed tables are all zeroed out so you would have to throw some numbers in there before it would actually shift, but the fact they are there indicates this is a useable function.

If I had an auto GTO to play with over here I'd be working on this right now. Maybe one of you has some free time and a bit of knowhow to try this and see if it would work. It'd be a cool feature to add for someone that likes a more spirited drive.

Last edited:

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hey guys!

Been doing some research tonight for my Crewman project and I've stumbled on something that suggests it may be possible to have Tap Up/Tap Down shifting on an A4 equipped VZ.

If you have a VZ equipped with a T42 TCM, I learned that Pin 10 is designated as the TUTD pin. Same wire for both functions; a 12V current passed through an 8.25KOhm resistor indicates a Tap Down request, and a 12V current passed through a 4.42KOhm resistor indicates a Tap Up request.

Looking at the stock tune file for a 2006 Pontiac GTO, TUTD is Enabled by default with the TUTD type set as Hardwire, meaning the command from the paddles goes directly to the TCM. With the transmission in the D3 position, TUTD is activated. The shift speed tables are all zeroed out so you would have to throw some numbers in there before it would actually shift, but the fact they are there indicates this is a useable function.

If I had an auto GTO to play with over here I'd be working on this right now. Maybe one of you has some free time and a bit of knowhow to try this and see if it would work. It'd be a cool feature to add for someone that likes a more spirited drive.
Adapt a 6L80 into it. While your at it, add the tutd to it.

Torqueup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX,VY,VZ,C6 Z06
Hey guys!

I'll give it a test on my VZ project car im converting to 6l80e. I've already installed the tapshift wheel in preparation.

I'll do a writeup on my website for this project eventually...

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'll give it a test on my VZ project car im converting to 6l80e. I've already installed the tapshift wheel in preparation.

I'll do a writeup on my website for this project eventually...
I too am putting a 6L80 in a Crewman, and I know it will work there. What I'm hoping is to activate it using the ActiveSelect button from a V6 model. If not, I know it can be activated by putting the shifter in D3, which the 6L80 recognizes as D5.

Torqueup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX,VY,VZ,C6 Z06
the d3, d5 stuff is actually specific to the calibration used in the trans as to what it thinks the shift detents are. I'd have to look for one of the active select buttons to see what it's wired into, It would have to be the PIM, but IMO it makes more sense to pull the shifter back for TAP control, then pressing a button to activate/deactivate the steering buttons, but that's just me.

Last edited:

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's wired into the PIM, pin 5. Not sure if it's active in V8 calibration or not yet.

Torqueup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX,VY,VZ,C6 Z06
it's probably just a toggled short to gnd button vs a momentary. i might have a play with it later today.

Torqueup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX,VY,VZ,C6 Z06
i didnt get a chance to test this today, was finishing up a cam change. I did however finish confirming the wiring on to the vz clock spring to paddle shifter. There is no wire in the body side for the tapshift on the v8, i kind of already knew this when i did a mates vz clubsport years ago.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
i didnt get a chance to test this today, was finishing up a cam change. I did however finish confirming the wiring on to the vz clock spring to paddle shifter. There is no wire in the body side for the tapshift on the v8, i kind of already knew this when i did a mates vz clubsport years ago.
I think he is saying you can add it in and use the A/S button from an SV6 to do that.