Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4L60/65 Tap Shift may be possible

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman SS, VZ Pontiac GTO
i didnt get a chance to test this today, was finishing up a cam change. I did however finish confirming the wiring on to the vz clock spring to paddle shifter. There is no wire in the body side for the tapshift on the v8, i kind of already knew this when i did a mates vz clubsport years ago.
I had to add the wire to my harness for the 6L80 conversion as well. The nice thing is it's only one wire.

Reactions: Lex

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
I
I've replaced the 4l65e/t42 controller with a 6l80e, i did a quick/nasty wire in job for the 6l by tapping into the relevant pins in the old t42 controller plug, 1 wire direct to the ecu for the neutral safety.

Bunch of changes in ECM/TCM.

Dash is happy, trans shifts through the gears.

I'll pull the harness off, strip the old controller wiring out & 6l80 wiring in.
I'm glad to hear you got it working. And you took the next step I would have and switched the dash to 5L40 mode. I think in the end I'll be switching my PIM and ABS module to 5L40 mode so I can get ESP working as well. For reverse I'm going to follow a mate's example over here. He put a 6L50 in a midsize truck with a 3.6 Alloytec but used the PNP switch from a 4L60 on the side of the trans for Park/Neutral signal and reverse lights. I had considered getting a reverse signal out of the PIM but then you have to add a relay to power the backup lights from. Unless you're starting with a V6 model in Oz, that is. :)

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I

I'm glad to hear you got it working. And you took the next step I would have and switched the dash to 5L40 mode. I think in the end I'll be switching my PIM and ABS module to 5L40 mode so I can get ESP working as well. For reverse I'm going to follow a mate's example over here. He put a 6L50 in a midsize truck with a 3.6 Alloytec but used the PNP switch from a 4L60 on the side of the trans for Park/Neutral signal and reverse lights. I had considered getting a reverse signal out of the PIM but then you have to add a relay to power the backup lights from. Unless you're starting with a V6 model in Oz, that is. :)
I installed the 6L50 sv6 trans into my vt v6 with a adaptor plate & aftermarket tcu ( https://www.zerogravityperformance....ic-transmission-controller-6l80e-6l90e-6l50e/ ).

I used the standard neutral safety switch. Bolted on to the trans with some spacers.
1715303929187.jpeg

I have vf steering wheel on my vt with paddle shifter. There's one wire going from the paddle shifter straight to the one wire from the trans. It's on that wiring harness that comes with the aftermarket tcu.
It also has a vf shifter on it.
1715304365714.jpeg

I haven't got the paddle shifter working yet.

But l did get the vf steering wheel airbag working with no error codes in the cluster.
I used a 2012 Cruze airbag in the vf airbag cover. I had originally used the standard airbag plugs from vf (didn't work). Then went to the cruze a/b. Still didn't work.

Then l looking at a oem wiring diagram of the srs system & noticed a capicitor in the airbag plug. Used the standard vt a/b plug (had been using whichever a/b plug l was using, ex. vf.). Had to to file the plastic on the plug to fit. But now the system was happy & the error code would move from current o history, which meant the code could then be cleared.

On the vf shifter there is no wiring to it. l will possibly get around to getting the wiring for it? Maybe l can get the paddle shift working?

Last edited:

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
I installed the 6L50 sv6 trans into my vt v6 with a adaptor plate & aftermarket tcu ( https://www.zerogravityperformance....ic-transmission-controller-6l80e-6l90e-6l50e/ ).

I used the standard neutral safety switch. Bolted on to the trans with some spacers.
View attachment 267850
I have vf steering wheel on my vt with paddle shifter. There's one wire going from the paddle shifter straight to the one wire from the trans. It's on that wiring harness that comes with the aftermarket tcu.
It also has a vf shifter on it.
View attachment 267852
I haven't got the paddle shifter working yet.

But l did get the vf steering wheel airbag working with no error codes in the cluster.
I used a 2012 Cruze airbag in the vf airbag cover. I had originally used the standard airbag plugs from vf (didn't work). Then went to the cruze a/b. Still didn't work.

Then l looking at a oem wiring diagram of the srs system & noticed a capicitor in the airbag plug. Used the standard vt a/b plug (had been using whichever a/b plug l was using, ex. vf.). Had to to file the plastic on the plug to fit. But now the system was happy & the error code would move from current o history, which meant the code could then be cleared.

On the vf shifter there is no wiring to it. l will possibly get around to getting the wiring for it? Maybe l can get the paddle shift working?
I think the only hard wire automatic shifter that exists out there is from the early C6 Chevrolet Corvette.

My mate got his truck over here working with an Oldsmobile Bravada floor shifter and a shifter head out of a Saturn Vue with TUTD buttons.

Factory shifters for direct wire to the TCM are few and far between. There is a guy on YT that made a video showing how to make your own paddle shift setup, the resistors you need to send the right signals down the wire.

I threw the link in below in case anyone's curious.

Reactions: Lex