Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] 4L60E tear down guide

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
yeh unfortunately there's no competition in aus, so they charge like a wounded bull, cheaper to get it from US. Only part i bought was the torque converter in AU it was cheaper because of the weight with freight.

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Yea, you could make a nice dollar charging aussie rebuild prices for a bullet proof box. The only thing i wont be getting is a new TC as i have to get the reverse input drum for $138 from furious performance. So ill be using Hakos old TC instead of mine. Received some more parts today so some more picys will be coming up. Once its completed ill put up a full cost and parts list of everything.

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Started on the pump today as the boost valve came in the mail. The top set up is the 0.500boost valve, the one below that i believe is just the stock on.
524277_423629587689128_1224798019_n.jpg

Because Hako had this box rebuilt i have no idea what is stock and what is not. So when i opened the pump up to discover a 13vane pump kit in it. Stock is 7vane i think and the one in the package is a 10vane. I wanted the 10vane for excessive higher RPM use as there is more metal and less chance to break.
524456_423629654355788_633213795_n.jpg

Tomorrow ill prob get started on the valve body and have some more photos.

*uwishn*

Holden special vehicles
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl walkinshaw(replica)nissan navara d40 st-x turbo
good thread mate,hope it all goes back in easy.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
not having a go at you, but fitting a TC from a failed trans would be the last thing i would be fitting to my fresh rebuild, who knows how much metal is sitting in there. I bought one of these, wait till a sale as you'l get one for around $250mark, got some good stuff in it compared to the rest.

VN VS VP HOLDEN 6 CYL H STALL TORQUE CONVERTER | eBay

All the pro trans rebuilders ive talked to, told me to stick with 10vane, 14 vane has to little metal between the vanes and the rings break and the 7 vane has to little vanes which increase stress on each vane.

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
I really wanted to get one of theirs. Back when they were $295. Not many other places do good cheap ones. Im also sorta on a deadline too as the current transmission is now binding up when starting the car (think thats a result of clutches fusing to the steels) which means i dont have much longer lol. Normally wouldnt have a problem but its the car i use for work too. To top things off, 2 regos and 1 licence renewal in a month or so haha.

So i may message them and be all "wernt these for sale for $295" and see how i go.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Torque converters dont last forever either. They have moving parts and bearings inside them. The stator has a one way clutch inside it, if that failed I would imagine you would lose that torque multiplication.

Has you priced a TC from a L67? might be cheaper than an after market TC ( I dont know, I just asking ) and has a higher stall than the factory one, But you probably already know that.

or.

you could cut it open, clean it out and have a shop weld it back up and balance it.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
Personally i wouldn't skimp on it, especially because it's such a major part, the whole tranny relys on it and all your fluild goes through it. But hey it's your call, my trans is just like yours, hanging on, now 300,000km, i pulled this 2nd one i got down before my wife had my daughter and i havn't had time since to put the new parts in it, my car's a daily as well so hoping it holds up till i get holidays. It's only the cash from tuning since then that's paid for the parts now my wifes not working! Yeh talk about rego, just got my wifes and it's 4cyl $650!!!

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
which sunshell did you end up getting? the acdelco beast or sonnax smartshell, i went with the sonnax because of the roller bearing which apparently takes alot of load of the gear ring.

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
which sunshell did you end up getting? the acdelco beast or sonnax smartshell, i went with the sonnax because of the roller bearing which rently takes alot of load of the gear ring.

I ended up getting the beast. Ill sus out TCs soon.