Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4x4 thread

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
So im in the process of selling my Commodore and buying a 4x4. Im after a dual cab ute thats pretty tough and can handle some decent off road tracks. Ill be fitting a liftkit and some decent rubber also to help it through the bush a bit. Just after some opinions on 4x4 utes. Im liking a D22 navara at the moment but have heard stories of the 2003 3.0L turbo motors not having a big enough sump? Anyways if u have a 4x4 can u just share your experience with me and shoot me and helpful hints.

Thanks

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
Hey mate.... my work ute is a 3.0L TD 4x4 rodeo... i thrash it a fair bit and the thing tows like there is no tomorrow... but i havent really taken it offroad as such... mostley on muddy work sites and some fire trails...

but i cant pick a fault with it...

nicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
Thanks mate,

the only thing that turns me off the rodeo is the electronic selection. Dont like the idea of being in the bush and getting the solenoid wet then having no 4x4. Ever had any dramas selection 4x4?

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Hi Nicko,

I've had more 4x4's than any other type of car, so i think i can offer some opinion. I'll be straight up and say that I swear by toyotas. I'm on my 4th one now and they have NEVER left me stranded on the side of the road (except when I ran out of juice that one time lol) If you're chasing a dual cab, whether it's new or 2nd hand, I recommend the hilux. I had an '04 SR5 dual cab turbo diesel and I could not kill that thing. It rode well, handled well, went wherever I wanted it to and towed anything I hooked up behind it. The only 'gripe' I had with it was the wheel alignments it needed to have to preserve tyres every 10,000k's or less, but other than that, it went hard.

I've got one of the 'new' turbo V8 diesel utes now, it's awesome, but i'm thinking of going to the LC70 'shorty' wagon, as seats are more precious to me now than tray space.

As i said, i'm a toyota man, but some of the other brands are coming out with decent stuff nowdays too. In the end, it's your cash.

Cheers
nick

nicko

Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
yeh im looking to spend abuot 15k on the car itself and then another 5 or so on mods- bullbar, lift, lockers etc. The turbo hiluxs look nice but seem a bit pricey?

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
Thanks mate,

the only thing that turns me off the rodeo is the electronic selection. Dont like the idea of being in the bush and getting the solenoid wet then having no 4x4. Ever had any dramas selection 4x4?

Hi nicko... nah no dramas switching between 2x4 and 4x4 at all it's handy when you are towing say 2-3T and it rains and she starts to spin when taking off on a hill you just press the magic button and hey presto you have traction again... plus you can switch between high range 4 x 4 and 2 x 4 up to 100kph....
you have to be just rolling to engage low range...

I like toyota's also but they are pricey and if you want value for money i swear by the rodeos i have had 4 different ones in the last 10yrs for work and never had a prob....

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
The turbo hiluxs look nice but seem a bit pricey?

The old saying comes into it, "you get what you pay for".

15k will get you something half decent...

quick308

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Landrover disco series 1, 2006 Street Bob
yeh im looking to spend abuot 15k on the car itself and then another 5 or so on mods- bullbar, lift, lockers etc. The turbo hiluxs look nice but seem a bit pricey?

Hilux's are expensive because they are on such high demand. i bought mine for 18,000 and about 5 other people rang about it while i was buying the car lol. even the new ones have a 6month waiting peroid. i went on my first 4wd weekend 2 weeks ago and she performed very well. all these fancey nissan patrol drivers were sayen how i would not get up this paticular hill. well i proved them wrong lol got it all on video. ill post it up on here when i get the dvd :yeah:

iluvnorks

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY & 2013 Ford Ranger 4X4
So im in the process of selling my Commodore and buying a 4x4. Im after a dual cab ute thats pretty tough and can handle some decent off road tracks. Ill be fitting a liftkit and some decent rubber also to help it through the bush a bit. Just after some opinions on 4x4 utes. Im liking a D22 navara at the moment but have heard stories of the 2003 3.0L turbo motors not having a big enough sump? Anyways if u have a 4x4 can u just share your experience with me and shoot me and helpful hints.

Thanks

Im in the same boat nicko.. Wanna sell my v8 ute and get a forby.. Gonna refinance the house and am looking to spend upto $25,000.. My old boy has an exploder and want to give it a rest.. Im a ceramic tiler and we tow trailer everyday which would weigh somewhere between 1.5-2T..
I was thinking 2000 Patrol or Cruiser 4.2lt Turbo Diesel and then later on getting the gas / diesel injection system.. Boosts power by 20%, fuel economy by 25% and torque by 30% or something along those lines.. But ive heard the 3.0lt turbo diesel are a good donk aswell.. Ive gotta get out there and drive a few to see what i like..

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
go D-Max

- its just an old Rodeo rebadged
- it has dedicated service centers and staff
- they will do a you beaut deal to stop you buying one of those Colorado versions ... :thumbsup:

just something to think aout