Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air flow meter???

damankerrison09

Blue 87 VL
Reaction score
Members Ride
5 Speed VL SL
Just hooking up all my intercooler piping, and i need to know is it better to mount the AFM Before the turbo or after the intercooler somewhere?
I was thinking if it was before the turbo, the air metered would be changed in density by the turbo, and then again when it pass's through the intercooler, so would that equal to 2 variants from turbo to throttle body?

Not sure, I have no BOV as it is, but i should be getting one pretty soon (and no im not running a dose pipe just straight piece to pod to reduce flutter noise as much as possible)

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
as close as possible to the throttle in the cooler pipes is the best
after the cooler - before throttle

ive read many stories about people having it before the turbo and it would cause problems running and would stumble when taking off

mine is under my RH rail in the cooler piping

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
most people run it after the turbs.. i dont think it matters that much

damankerrison09

Blue 87 VL
Reaction score
Members Ride
5 Speed VL SL
Yeh thats what i thought closer to the TV would be better! But then i read on some stupid forum that you cant run it after the turbo, but most VL turbo's with coolers do... Why does it stumble when its before the turbo? is it because the air isnt metered properly so the ECU puts in To much/ To little fuel?

damankerrison09

Blue 87 VL
Reaction score
Members Ride
5 Speed VL SL
Ok maybe not near the TV.. probably closer to my engine bay would help haha

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
stock turbo vl's have them in standard spot near airbox but i have seen them all over the place.. i would suggest after the Cooler i would say around the dizzy area where the piping is sweeping in over to Throttle body..
thats where im gonna put mine...
piping2.jpg

Or even better put this turbo in
19379huge_turbo.jpg

HsvR86.2

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 Vy
Hi all, in the process of putting the afm in the intercooler piping 2.5 inch, could someone please let me know how they have connected the afm in the piping? Did you use some kind of an adaptor? If yes, what is it called and where can I get it from ? TIA.