Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytech ECU troubles

Machino77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ commodore 3.6 Ute
I have recently put a 190kw alloytech into my vz ute, in place of the old 175kw engine, I had the ecu that came with the engine linked to my car however, I now have no speedo, fuel gauge, won’t start via key( had to fit a relay and button) and will only rev to 3800-4000 revs, the person that paired the ecu told me that because that engine and gearbox package was not an option in a ute, that there is no proper tune to suit it, but it ran fine with my old ecu, until the ecu started dropping injector pulse( which I managed to overcome by tapping into the previous cylinder’s pulse) but in the end I had 4 cylinders running off one pulse( which required a relay to supply enough power) and it idled rough. I am unsure of how I should proceed from here

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
What you have is an unbelievable **** show. You can’t just do that. It’s as complicated as getting a Datsun engine to run in there or do an LS swap.

You need to swap EVERYTHING.
Body harness. Gearbox.

It’s going to be looking for a 5speed auto. It’s looking for Active Select. The body harness and BCM won’t be compatible with the features from models with LY7 motors. The harness that integrates with the engine harness goes inside the car.

The up spec BCM will match up. Then an upspec body harness with CANbus switched earths. Climate control.

It’s a rabbit hole

Machino77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ commodore 3.6 Ute
What you have is an unbelievable **** show. You can’t just do that. It’s as complicated as getting a Datsun engine to run in there or do an LS swap.

You need to swap EVERYTHING.
Body harness. Gearbox.

It’s going to be looking for a 5speed auto. It’s looking for Active Select. The body harness and BCM won’t be compatible with the features from models with LY7 motors. The harness that integrates with the engine harness goes inside the car.

The up spec BCM will match up. Then an upspec body harness with CANbus switched earths. Climate control.

It’s a rabbit hole
Thanks for replying, can I get away with putting the old 175 kw heads and plenum on this engine, and just get the original ecu reconditioned?

Machino77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ commodore 3.6 Ute
Thanks for replying, can I get away with putting the old 175 kw heads and plenum on this engine, and just get the original ecu reconditioned?
Obviously I would have to use the old engine’s harness

Machino77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ commodore 3.6 Ute
Obviously I would have to use the old engine’s harness
I was told that the highlighted sections in this page may work, but will take time to download. Is it worth the effort and expense?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
They are two different engines. The run differently.

No matter how you look at it, it’s not got a great outcome.

Theres a whole lot more going on.

Doing what you plan has been done before, but long term isn’t ideal. The car will under perform.

Two very different engine mangagment systems and two very different body systems. Making it work is going to be a decent engine swap project like any other would.

You need either a VZ Calais or SV6 to complete the conversion by swapping everything over and modifying the body harness or go back to the LE0 and the correct gearbox.